• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99XJ Clutch Issues

rydizzy

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my clutch around six months ago and everything seemed fine until a couple weeks ago. I noticed it was making an odd noise in gear with the clutch pushed down. I assumed that the noise was temperature related because it was very cold here for about a week. Along with the noise, about a week ago, it began disengaging less and less. Now it pushes very hard if I stop in gear, sometimes dies. I'm having a very fun time shifting. I need to wait until the correct rpm and shift quickly. It's almost like I don't have a clutch at all. Since it gradually got worse and not suddenly, I was thinking something hydraulic. I changed the slave cylinder yesterday because it had a very tiny leak. I noticed a slight improvement, but today it was just as bad as before. I changed the master cylinder today for sh*** and giggles. I had this thought when I was changing it that maybe there's something wrong with the lever thing that the throwout bearing mounts to. I don't remember what it looks like on the pivoting side, but I'm thinking it was mounted in two locations to pivot. If it was, maybe one part broke loose. I removed the slave cylinder and, with my fingers, tried to move that lever. It seemed to move quite a lot. I don't think it's normal, but like I said, I don't remember exactly what it was like. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Sorry about the long post.

I took the transmission out. There was no clip on that lever, but could that cause much of a problem. When the clutch pedal is pressed, the lever is pushed up against its seat and there isn't really room for it to move off of it. The pressure plate bolts weren't as tight as they should be...last time I'll trust a friend to use a torque wrench. They weren't loose, just not torqued. The throwout bearing has a little play and feels like there's dirt inside of it. Also, the throwout is dry where it slides on the...whatever the name of the part is that is slides on(sorta like a sleeve over the input shaft). There are what look like water marks on the sleeve thing and the inside of the throwout is rusted where it slides on the sleeve thing.

Another thing, the front bearing retainer(the part I didn't know the name of) has a couple grooves in it. They didn't look normal but I thought maybe they were. I looked at some pictures and don't see those grooves on any others. But how would even grooves wear into a part that has no spinning motion? Anyone seen grooves on theirs?
frontbearingcover_zps276dcd5d.jpeg

Don't know whether grooves on the bearing retainer are normal or not but I suspect not. Could be caused by bad throwout bearing, which you have - shouldn't feel any play in it at all. Throwout bearing to bearing retainer surface should be clean and dry unless specifically directed to put something on there by FSM.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what to do at this point. I can probably get a new clutch since the set is under warranty and the throwout bearing is part of the set. But I don't want to put a new clutch on and have problems because of that bearing cover. I haven't been able to find one at auto parts stores. Found it online for around $100. My syncros are worn, the input shaft has a little play...Might be time for a rebuild.

Do you see evidence of wear on the inside of the throwout bearing? Parts store may tell you to pound sand but maybe if you can demonstrate that their defective throwout bearing spun on the retainer and grooved it they might help w/ replacement. Worth a try. Anyone local to you with a parts trans? Used is quite acceptable for stationary parts... trans internals don't matter at this point as long as it's working, just get the clutch fixed. Take a look at the lever too, make sure the bearing didn't wear that too.

Edit: here's a pic of a new one, looks like it should be perfectly smooth

http://m.quadratec.com/products/product.php?pid=52129+05

If you have a good automotive machine shop near you, it might be possible to turn it down and install a speedi-sleeve; that's another viable option.

Last edited:
I'll take a closer look at the throwout bearing in a bit. It didn't come loose from the lever, so I don't think it was spinning. Those grooves could be old. I changed the clutch in a hurry and didn't pay close attention to the retainer. I can get a whole transmission at pick n pull for $100. I'll ask around to try and find someone with an extra. I do have a place I can machine that retainer, though. I'm surprised I didn't think of that. I have a friend that is a machining professor at a college. His machines are always available to me when school is in. I can do that but I'll have to wait until classes start again.

OK, well I'm sure your noise was the throwout bearing. If it didn't spin on the retainer, then the only other option is that it *wasn't* spinning, look at the fingers on the pressure plate for excessive wear - might need a new PP as well as a TO bearing.

If that is what's happening those grooves may or may not be a problem - I'd get rid of them though just on principle.

Also, if the *old* TO bearing that you already replaced was spinning, that would explain the grooves even if the new one wasn't. So we're back to "check the lever" as well. Trust nothing, your vehicle is almost old enough to drive itself :)

Last edited:
The one I changed before was also still attached to the lever, so if the grooves came from a throwout bearing, it was before that. I still have the old bearing and it is in better shape than the newer one.

When I looked at the pressure plate yesterday, it looked fine. I'll go look more closely at it when its not so dark outside.

well if the old one was working OK before you changed the clutch out why not just throw it back in until you have the parts to "fix it right" assuming the PP looks OK. then at least you'll be mobile.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to continue fighting with my brakes and throwing tools. Wanna trade?

I'd take brakes over a clutch any day. I'm not a big fan of removing the transmission, so I'll probably just fix it right as soon as I have the funds available. I'm only 4 miles from work...I'll ride a bike. Thanks for the help.

Back