• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 STARTS ON DRIVE...98

jonchacon

NAXJA Forum User
I recently joined the XJ family in the form on a 98 limited. I pruchased the rig knowing it had a check engine light. At the time of purchase I had a obdII scaner which found 3 faults.

1. Evap leak--fixed with new gas cap.

2 and 3 P0700 (Transmission Control System Malfunction) or P0705 (Transmission Range Sensor Malfunction)

I found a great article on how to rebuild the NSS. I follwed the steps and it did not fix it.

Then I got a replacent NSS from a known working vehicle and this also did not fix it.

If someone was to purposely bypass the NSS on a automatic (no idea why) where would it be a good place to start? could any additional part be faulty?

the vehicle drives and shifts fine. all gear work, overdrive ok. I'm in CA and smog is required for new tags. I really need to get this on the road sooner than later.

ANY input is appreciated.:helpme::helpme::helpme:

sounds as though someone by-passed the NSS and manually grounded the starter relay. It should only have a ground in park or neutral.

Perhaps they by-passed the relay altogether and the switch is wired directly to the starter solenoid.

sounds as though someone by-passed the NSS and manually grounded the starter relay. It should only have a ground in park or neutral.

Perhaps they by-passed the relay altogether and the switch is wired directly to the starter solenoid.

now that you mentioned it. it all starts to make sense... i looked under the dash and seen traces of an old alarm system. then by the fuse box i saw two wires spliced and grounded. when i unplugged them the rig wouldnt start. now its a matter of knowing what goes where. the wires are black with a white line. I'm assuming the 2 wires are grounds to relays inside the fuse box. now the question is does it matter what ground goes where or can i just reconnect them?

could this all be due to a remote start alarm system?

IMO, it is time to acquire a Manual on your Heep. You need the wiring schematics in order to sort this out. It will be, by far, the best investment you can make.

Personally, I use Factory Service Manuals. Generally speaking, you can find them, for little monies, on eBay...

you cannot bypass the NSS on a later body style XJ, only on the early ones. The PCM uses input from the NSS to tell the trans computer when and how to shift depending on what gear it's in on the late models.

Back