• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Want to upgrade my 8.8

chris420

NAXJA Forum User
I am looking at upgrading my 8.8'and want a locker and cromo shafts possibly c clip eliminator as we'll if budget permits but for sure locker and cromo shafts. What brands are the best for the money?

I have a super88 by superior. It's awesome. Unfortunately they are no longer making parts.

Yukon is the only other option in that regard. (C-clip elim) I've not personally run any of their products, but for the most part those I know running them are happy

Maybe hit up RWKHausSupply. He is a Yukon dealer. Usually takes good care of naxja

I am running an ARB and am extremes happy with it, but if you want an auto-locker detroits are great. Once again, Yukon makes a grizzly for the 8.8.

Have you welded your tubes yet?

Tubes have 1 inch beed on both so should be ok. The Yukon Grizzley has a nice warranty so I probably buy that one. I may not have enough money for the C clip eliminater yet. Do you think the stock shafts will hold up to 33,s and a locker?

Sell me your trac loc I have an open diff. I will trade you my open diff and some cash.
I too have an 8.8 with 4.10 gears from a 98 explorer.

Last edited:
I decided to get a Yukon Grizzley Locker due to the warrantee they offer. Today the shop pulled the diff cover and found that the bearings were smoked lots of metal so I has to spend an extra 120.00 for new bearings and was not able to reuse my very expensive Red Line oil. We'll at least everything will be new.

Sell me your trac loc I have an open diff. I will trade you my open diff and some cash.
I too have an 8.8 with 4.10 gears from a 98 explorer.
I will have a track loc for you soon.

I guess you could have run your redline through a couple coffee filters. I prefer change intervals to high $$ oil for the diffs, but thats just me

Stock 8.8 shafts and 35s have held up for me so far.

I guess you could have run your redline through a couple coffee filters. I prefer change intervals to high $$ oil for the diffs, but thats just me

Stock 8.8 shafts and 35s have held up for me so far.

Lesson learned on the oil shop told me the same.

stock shafts have been known to take incredible abuse. but i've also seen a shaft twist and break in the middle like a candy cane. they will live just fine under 33s even if you are stupid with the right foot.
also, i say save your $$ and dont worry about the C-clip eliminator on a rig that will break a shaft at trail-speed. the disc brakes will hold it in place long enough to get you off the obstacle and even off a short trail to where it can be fixed.
the guys who need the eliminators are the Mustang guys that break a shaft at the track at speed.

stock shafts have been known to take incredible abuse. but i've also seen a shaft twist and break in the middle like a candy cane. they will live just fine under 33s even if you are stupid with the right foot.
also, i say save your $$ and dont worry about the C-clip eliminator on a rig that will break a shaft at trail-speed. the disc brakes will hold it in place long enough to get you off the obstacle and even off a short trail to where it can be fixed.
the guys who need the eliminators are the Mustang guys that break a shaft at the track at speed.

not true.

those disk brake backing plates are extremely weak and will bend within seconds if you are on a trail hard enough to break an 8.8 shaft.

Are the Yukon shafts strong than stock shafts?

not true.

those disk brake backing plates are extremely weak and will bend within seconds if you are on a trail hard enough to break an 8.8 shaft.

my point was that it will keep it from walking out of the housing long enough to get to a safe repair location, even if it is only a few feet away. if you are the guy who wails on something hard enough you should be used to peripheral damage because major failures dont happen by accident, they get more spectacular with your personal experiences.
i'd rather take a chance on replacing a bracket here and there, than waste $$ on the eliminators. nice to have, but not NEEDED.

Back