• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax-15 to aw4 questions

Alboy97XJ

Nevada Raisins
NAXJA Member
Ok so run down... I have a 96 xj with an ax-15 in it... I wanna swap everything outta my 97 into the 96...an concern I have is swapping my aw4 into the 96. What all is needed? Change some wiring and tcm? Thanks for the help guys.

No. You need an automatic PCM as well as TCU, which require wiring harnesses, and due to differences in sensors and the fuel system between 1996 and 1997 you need to swap those over as well so the PCM will work.

Oh crappy... unless I do a rail shifter?

The AW4 is shifted electronically (using solenoids) in forward ranges - so you can fab up a shifter for it.

You can find a "truth table" for the solenoids/gear range set online. If not, let us know and I'm sure one of us can dig a copy out for you.

Cool thanks! I think I'll just fab up a shifter then! They make any aftermarket shifters out there?

You honestly probably only need the AW4 tcu. It is on the CCD buss but I have been sucessful in getting a 98-99(?) TCU to run in a 92 (without a connection to the ECU/PCM). As long as the TCU has TPS, Brake switch, Input/output speed sensors (the ones on the AW4, not the transfer case) and NSS, along with all three solenoids, you should be golden.

On the shifter amigo, look on page two of this forum under 87 XJ with downhill problems. Running a new AW4 and installed a RAD Rail II shifter and its the shit... Down hill engine braking with your AW4 is nearly null. This was a huge issue for me so, if you need anything on this, happy to help.

Dude I'm like an hours drive away and I'd rather have a manual trans.
Want to trade jeeps?
Probably easier...

Back