• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

My 8.25 gears sound like they're about to blow up

srmitchell

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.

Bought an 8.25 (29spline) housing on naxja from a member about 4 years ago, he didn't tell me it had horrible excessive gear whine. (Oh well, it was cheap)

It has USA standard gears, and the pattern last time I checked was fine, (they don't recommend these gears for daily drivers,) and it doesn't produce metal flakes. However, the noise is now unbearable, coasting it is silent, but on throttle and slightly off it is a horrible high pitch whine that resonates though the cab.

Question-
What brand will give me the best bang for the buck, silent operation, and strength? I know that plenty of guys run other gears than yukon without noise. (I'd love to go yukon but they run $342!!)

Options?
Ten- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52440_110X_PG.htm @ $215

G2- http://www.quadratec.com/products/52463_501X_PG.htm @245

Yukon of course- http://www.summitracing.com/parts/yga-24005?seid=srese1&gclid=COKg6uLsqbsCFWRk7AodpSYAsw @ $342

Any other suggestions? Superior? Alloy USA? Looking for a good quality 4.56 gear set for the 8.25 which wont make noise. I will have them set up at work. (I will probably do most of the work, supervised by my team leader- I work at a jeep dealership)

Thanks guys.

Columbus

I ran 4.56 g2s for about 4 years in my 8.25 as a daily driver never had any noise or issues.

it goes without saying, but make sure whoever sets them up actually knows WTF they are doing.

I just put some Motive 4.10s in my brother's '98 XJ.

While I wasn't overly impressed with the overall quality having used Yukons in everything else, they setup quick and don't make any noise so I can't complain. Especially considering the cost.

My brother had a similar noise in his Jeep. We first bearing slapped it (both pinion and both carrier bearings). Since you have carrier adjusters, you can press new bearings on the carrier, replace the inner pinion bearing, new outer pinion bearing, and if the old gears are still making noise after all that, you're only out a pinion seal and inner pinion bearing (~$30).

We ended up doing the bearings, and then since it was still making noise, we setup new gears and were all set. You might as well do new wheel bearings/seals at the same time (we did).

Pinion for the win.

Thanks for the advice guys.

But question- Would pinion bearings make noise when on throttle but not coasting? Seems like that would have to be noise on the drive side of the ring.

And I parked it, it is no longer a DD anyway.

Talked to my shop supervisor today, he has been a mopar tech for 25 years, he said it is probably a bearing also. I'll take it in to work this week and take it apart.

I suppose bearings would be cheaper than a r+p!

Had the cover off the other day.

Ooozey jb weld- like fluid sludge. Bearings went.

Yukons are out of stock in most places...

I want to order tonight. 4.56 gears- Motive? Precision? Richmond? I don't know what to buy.

Had the cover off the other day.

Ooozey jb weld- like fluid sludge. Bearings went.

Yukons are out of stock in most places...

I want to order tonight. 4.56 gears- Motive? Precision? Richmond? I don't know what to buy.

get whatever is cheapest. see what RWK can get you.

I used Motive Gear 4:10's in my old Dodge and I was happy with them. Can't give you a long term review on them because I sold it a little over a year after putting them in, but I can say I towed A LOT with it and they never gave me any troubles.

Thanks for the advice guys. I found a motive ring and pinion, plus a motive install kit with Timken bearings all together shipped for like 305. Went for it!

FWIW I've got USA standards in my 8.25. I DD it all winter and they don't make too much noise. As far as strength goes I cannot claim anything there. But yes, set up is crucial as well as break in period especially on a cheaper gear set.

Make sure you thoroughly flush the housing with brake cleaner and when you put it back together put a super magnet on the inside of the diff cover to suck up wear metal.

Yeah, I have a sureshot at work and I plan on flushing the living hell out of the diff when it comes time.

Really excited to properly repair the axle... I have seriously hated that noisy R&P.

Back