• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8 lug conversion on HP d44

COjeeper

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody done a 8 lug converison on a HP d44?

it can be done quite easily, by why the need? trying to match an 8 lug rear?

it really depends on what knuckles you have. ford uses different knuckles and spindles between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. different brake setup too i believe. chevy knuckles run both the large and small bearing spindles, 3/4 and 1/2 ton respectively, with some brake interchangeability. check out Mr Ns D44 page for details.

regardless... its still running a 297/760 joint...

it can be done quite easily, by why the need? trying to match an 8 lug rear?

it really depends on what knuckles you have. ford uses different knuckles and spindles between 1/2 and 3/4 ton. different brake setup too i believe. chevy knuckles run both the large and small bearing spindles, 3/4 and 1/2 ton respectively, with some brake interchangeability. check out Mr Ns D44 page for details.

regardless... its still running a 297/760 joint...

Yes, I picked up a d60 rear for free so trying to match bolt pattern. The d44 is a HP out of a ford camper special. From what I gather, the chevy opening has to be notched on the knuckle to get the shafts in and that I should stick with ford knuckle and spindle. Any truth to this?

The chevy knuckle will accept a ujoint shaft without grinding... Unless it has grease zerks like a super joint.

A chevy knuckle will not accept an rcv shaft through it though. The shaft has to be assembled inside the knuckle. That's why most running rcvs prefer the ford knuckles with the larger hole.... An rcv shaft slides through it....

Can I have all your 5 lug stuff when your done :D I have 8 lug knuckles and I'm searching for 5 lug stuff

how much time and money are you willing to spend on this? bc i have an 8 lug HP44 and if i was to go back to it i would do this...

cut off the outer Cs and weld on D60 ones. run 60 outers.
get a jana 54 gearset and full case locker.

wham-o.

8 lug ford 44 stuff is EXPENSIVE. i'm running a polished to hell HP44, only thing i didnt do it the jana 54 gears. if i routinely start blowing up my alloy shafts, i'll be getting RCVs.

The chevy knuckle will accept a ujoint shaft without grinding... Unless it has grease zerks like a super joint.

A chevy knuckle will not accept an rcv shaft through it though. The shaft has to be assembled inside the knuckle. That's why most running rcvs prefer the ford knuckles with the larger hole.... An rcv shaft slides through it....

Can I have all your 5 lug stuff when your done :D I have 8 lug knuckles and I'm searching for 5 lug stuff

We should just trade then! :D

how much time and money are you willing to spend on this? bc i have an 8 lug HP44 and if i was to go back to it i would do this...

cut off the outer Cs and weld on D60 ones. run 60 outers.
get a jana 54 gearset and full case locker.

wham-o.

8 lug ford 44 stuff is EXPENSIVE. i'm running a polished to hell HP44, only thing i didnt do it the jana 54 gears. if i routinely start blowing up my alloy shafts, i'll be getting RCVs.

Thought of doing that, just not sure if I want to go through all of that. Seems easier to just put in a HP d60 in the front and call it a day, if I can find one that doesn't involve giving away my next of kin or some body part. :wierd: I guess for now since I didn't pay much for the d44, just do the knuckle swap and when I start breaking stuff, upgrade it as I go or just get a d60. :banghead:

Can you do an 8 lug conversion on the Reid's?

Just buy the knuckles you want. I bought 8 lug ford ones.

That might be the way to go then. Holy mother of grails, those are pricey!

if you want ford stuff, youll need new 3/4 ton knuckles. and youll have to make sure you get suitable wheels, as the hub is larger. chevy knuckles give you the option of running 5 or 6 lug with the small bearing spindles, or 8 lug with the large. any gain in strength with the ford 3/4 lockouts is a moot point as the stub shaft and Ujoints are no stronger. chevy flat top knuckles can be found, milled, drilled, and tapped for a fraction of the price of reids. do the chevy knuckles accept RCVs? im not sure.

just a thought... i know you got the 60 for nothing. but unless the 60 is geared/locked (assuming you have all the parts for a working 44 with 5on5.5) the cheaper option may be to find a 5 lug rear, something like a full width 8.8 or 9".

if you want ford stuff, youll need new 3/4 ton knuckles. and youll have to make sure you get suitable wheels, as the hub is larger. chevy knuckles give you the option of running 5 or 6 lug with the small bearing spindles, or 8 lug with the large. any gain in strength with the ford 3/4 lockouts is a moot point as the stub shaft and Ujoints are no stronger. chevy flat top knuckles can be found, milled, drilled, and tapped for a fraction of the price of reids. do the chevy knuckles accept RCVs? im not sure.

just a thought... i know you got the 60 for nothing. but unless the 60 is geared/locked (assuming you have all the parts for a working 44 with 5on5.5) the cheaper option may be to find a 5 lug rear, something like a full width 8.8 or 9".

The thought has crossed my mind of going the 9" route. What's hard about giving up the 60 is that it bolts right up. Spring perches are the right distance without having to mount new ones. The guy I got the d60 from said I could get a different hub for the rear with the 5 on 5.5 pattern. So I guess I'm just going to have to weigh my options and see which sounds the best. Thanks for the help!

Back