• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

stainless brake hard lines?

N8N_99xj

NAXJA Forum User
Does anyone make 'em?

Still slogging away on my brake job (27 degrees and snowing BTW) - replaced RR wheel cylinder, found that one of its pistons was stuck, and also the self adjuster while it looked like it was working wasn't - the cable was rusted solid to the little arc shaped guide thing. That might have been part of the problem. The hard line came off and went on the new one, but I think it was stressed a little in the process and so it's on the "replace as soon as the weather warms up a little" list. I haven't looked at the driver's side yet; I'm expecting to find *something* messed up there too. I just hope that after this work I'll be able to drive it and stop reliably! (my brakes just got dramatically worse a couple days ago, to the point where I drove straight home and started tearing it apart...)

Are there any prebent stainless kits available for our vehicles? I'm assuming I will need both of the rear axle lines at a minimum as I would like to replace the rear hose as well. Or should I just bend my own from mild steel as that's all I'm going to get?

Oh yeah, I am starting to hate drum brakes. Might be the situation though...

thanks!

Typically lines are straight, and you bend them to fit. I know carquest/ other parts places sell different lengths of hard brake line and you bend them to fit. YOu can also make your own if you know how/have a flaring kit. The lines are inexpensive tho, so DIY is not really cost effective unless you already have all the pieces and the kit.
I loathe drum brakes. Thankfully mine are fine for a while. Going to swap to rear disc's when I can afford it.

Yes I know I just don't have a source for stainless, if nobody makes them I will fab my own lines, but I don't have a local source & I don't have a flaring tool that will handle stainless either...

wow, awesome... didn't know that Jeg's sold stainless, haven't ordered anything from them in a while.

However I think I may go with this instead

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...-brake-line-coil--3-16-x-25-nicopp_16190029-p

apparently it is now available in the US, works easier than steel, and doesn't ever rust... anyone used it? Looks like it's worth the price if it works OK though; I really hate fabbing brake lines only to see them rust again in a couple years.

Back