• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing ratio for 35s

xavierthexj

NAXJA Forum User
I'm running 33s with 3.54 gears in a chrysler 8.25 rear diff. I have a 4.5 rough country with cut fenders and I'm thinking of throwing some 35s on there. Would they fit and would I have to re-gear?? Any help is appreciated

Last edited:
I run 4.88's with my 35's. Thats on the "built" but stock axles. If I could go lower I would, 5.13, but the stock axles are limited and actually the lower the ratio you go on the D-30 the weaker the ring and pinion is.

I will say that 4.88 is perfect on the highway with the 35's. I cruise along getting good mileage with that ratio.

I like lower gears, my DD 90XJ has 4.10's and stock tires. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains(think short but steep) and those billy goat gears are a nice addition to any XJ around here.

This is my trail rig, on the highway, speedo is dead on right checked with my GPS. This thing cruises very nice!

P1020426.jpg

I run 4.88's with my 35's. Thats on the "built" but stock axles. If I could go lower I would, 5.13, but the stock axles are limited and actually the lower the ratio you go on the D-30 the weaker the ring and pinion is.

I will say that 4.88 is perfect on the highway with the 35's. I cruise along getting good mileage with that ratio.

I like lower gears, my DD 90XJ has 4.10's and stock tires. I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains(think short but steep) and those billy goat gears are a nice addition to any XJ around here.

This is my trail rig, on the highway, speedo is dead on right checked with my GPS. This thing cruises very nice!

P1020426.jpg
Sounds like 4.88 would do the job. What would happen if I stuck with the 3.54 on 35s. This is a trail rig only, not a dd

If it is a trail only rig then go as low as you can (4.88's in the stock axles). Gears are just as important off-road as on-road. Yeah, 4-lo helps, but it can only make up for so much. The 3.54 gears will cause the jeep to be "jumpy" in the most technical area's. Low gears will give you more control to crawl over obsticals.

Plus, any good trails around OC are an hour + drive away. If you think your Jeep us a dog now with 33's (and likely gets horrable gas mileage), just wait till you put on 35's.

Performance on or off road will suck with 3.55 and you are taxing your tranny more than needed. I ran 4.10's for a while on 35's and it sucked but everywhere I go where I live is ether uphill or downhill.

go 4.88

Sounds like 4.88 would do the job. Would would happen if I stuck with the 3.54 or 35s. This is a trail rig only, not a dd

It would be a joke with 3.54 and 35s, surprised the tires would even turn going up a moderate hill..haha

I ran 3.54 with 33s for a short time while waiting to install gears and the thing was a dog of all dogs

P1020426.jpg

X2 on the 4.88s! Mine cruises awesome and has good power offroad too. I am hitting 2600 rpm at 70mph with 35s
and speedo is correct.

I am very happy I made the change from 4.56 to 4.88. Much quicker at take-off and just cruises so nice on the freeway now. But, my speedo far from dead on with my 35" MT/R's, it is a out 11% off from my GPS speedo.

Back