• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hpd30 trouble

LilGreenToy

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a 88 hpd30 and replaced the knuckles, hubs, ball joints..everything went back together good and easy but now my passenger side axle shaft will not turn. You can turn it by hand but when you try to turn the yoke the axle shaft sits still. You can feel the gears trying to turn the axle shaft but it doesn't, however when you spin the hub/axle shaft the yoke will spin. I'm at a lose, because it doesn't make since why the axle shaft spins the yoke but the yoke doesn't spin the hub/axle shaft. By the way it's the non vacuum model so I thought the axle shaft is suppose to spin at all times even in 2wd? Any input would help since I'm stumped.

Thanks!

That's the nature of an open differential. When you spin the yoke does the other shaft turn? If so, then what you're describing is totally normal. And yes the shafts and everything will spin in 2wd while driving simply because they're on the ground. You're axle sounds fine to me

You didn't sat whether you replaced the pass side 2 PC vacuum disconnect axle with a 1 piece or not.

If you still have the disconnect and 2 PC axle. The disconnect must be engaged to connect the hub side to the differential side.

If you hold the yoke still, turning one axle will turn the other in the opposite direction... Unless the disconnect is not engaged.

Its not the vacuum axle, so there is no disconnect. What i can not understand is why when i turn the axle shaft on the passenger side the yoke will turn freely, but when i turn the yoke the axle shaft will not turn. The shaft will turn alittle, but then stop, so its like something is not meeting up in the ring and pinon. On the old axle i had which was the same one, but was rusted all to crap, when you turn the yoke the shaft turned and vise versa.

If it's not locked I wouldn't sweat it too much dude

as long as each of your hubs will turn the pinion and nothing feels bound up, you are fine. with an open differential the side with the most amount of internal friction may not turn at the same speed as the other or may not turn at all.
if it takes any amount of force to turn the hub there may be something wrong, but otherwise dont sweat it.

Its not the vacuum axle, so there is no disconnect. What i can not understand is why when i turn the axle shaft on the passenger side the yoke will turn freely, but when i turn the yoke the axle shaft will not turn. The shaft will turn alittle, but then stop, so its like something is not meeting up in the ring and pinon. On the old axle i had which was the same one, but was rusted all to crap, when you turn the yoke the shaft turned and vise versa.

Sorry about that, I didn't read the part about no disconnect.

If you hold the yoke, and turn one shaft, the other should turn in the opposite direction, unless the axle is locked.

That verifys that the shafts are connected and that the differentail does what it's supposed to do.

When you turn the yoke with both tires off the ground the results are unpredicable as to which shaft will turn, and which won't.
The reason for this is, once again, the differential.

When you looked inside, you saw 4 gears in a planetary setup. When you apply power to the yoke, the ring gear and housing spins.
If none of the gears turn (Traction or drag is equal on both axles), this transmits the power to both wheels.
If one axle has more (Traction or drag) on it than the other, the gears will turn and the "power" will get transmitted to the opposite side gear and turn that axle.

The reason differentials exist, is that when you turn a corner, the outter and inner wheel turn at different rates. This planetary system allows both wheels to turn and get a proportional amount of "power"
sent to each wheel.

First it it is not a disco front axle, then it is not an '88. Maybe a typo and you meant '98?

Next, what you describe sounds like a normal open differential as others have mention. When turning the yoke the axle side with the least amount of resistance will spin (i.e.: the shorter driverside). If you increase the friction to the driverside I bet the passengerside will spin. That is why open differentials suck. Whichever tire has the least amount of traction is the only one getting power.

First, if it is not a disco front axle, then it is not an '88. Maybe a typo and you meant '98? All pre '91 D30 were disconnect.

Next, what you describe sounds like a normal open differential as others have mention. When turning the yoke the axle side with the least amount of resistance will spin (i.e.: the shorter driverside). If you increase the friction to the driverside I bet the passengerside will spin. That is why open differentials suck. Whichever tire has the least amount of traction is the only one getting power.

Last edited:
Well, you can't really say they "suck", they do what they are designed to do.

If you designed a rig that had enough articulation to consitantly plant all 4 tires, you would very rarely need lockers. :eeks1:

Ok, suck off-road, awesome on-road, which is why I have selectable lockers front and rear. Cheaper than designing and building a suspension capable of keeping all 4 tires in constant (and equal) contact to the ground.

First, if it is not a disco front axle, then it is not an '88. Maybe a typo and you meant '98? All pre '91 D30 were disconnect.

pre-91 XJ's with the NP242 didn't have the disconnect axle.

Also, I'm with everyone else - sounds normal for an open differential, you should be fine.

Thank to everyone. It was just weird too me. The guy I bought it from said it was an 88 that is what I was going by. Again thank for the responses and the help!

pre-91 XJ's with the NP242 didn't have the disconnect axle.

Also, I'm with everyone else - sounds normal for an open differential, you should be fine.

This. My factory front axle is no different than one from a 98. Having had abs and the 242 meant no disco and bigger u-joints

Back