• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission/T-case Problem?

Kingkong0192

NAXJA Forum User
I am getting so fed up. Nothing is working. Blew a transfer case out of my jeep about three weeks ago, watched it bounce down the highway. Bought a Jetta for $800 to beat around until i could fix my jeep and the tranny blew on that this morning.

Took the day off from work to put a T-case in my jeep. Get a 231 in the jeep (had a 242 in it) and now the jeep won't move. So needless to say i now have two vehicles that are useless.

Anyways now that i'm done ranting i'll explain this a little.

Transfer case bounced down the highway. Took some wires off with it. (speedo-sensor wire and the 4 hi/lo/etc sensor wire.) I didn't plug any of those back into the 231 because i don't have the right sensors. I don't believe any of the transmission wires broke off at that point. I'm wondering if the tranny broke the same day the transfer case bounced down the highway. (It was super violent.)

I'm also having another problem. The jeep won't start sometimes. Has power in the cab (radio, dash lights, etc etc,) but it wont crank. No click. No nothing. Then randomly it will just crank over and fire up and idle rough.

When i do go to put it into gear i remember i used to have to hold the brake because when i shifted into "R" i could feel the torque go through all the components and to the wheels. When i did have it started tonight it was like shifting through the gears with the vehicle off (didn't feel any torque transfering). This leads me to think it's a tranny problem.

I honestly don't know. I'm fed up and starting to get really really tired of this thing.

Keep the Jetta. sell the Jeep.

I'd need to find a tranny for it. Things locked up right now. Won't start at all. Tried it in every gear to see if i could get whatever is seized up to unlock so i could start the engine but it wasn't happening.

It's the 2.0. Thing has 204,000 miles on it and it leaks/burns oil like crazy. I don't think that thing is worth investing any money into.

I don't really need to sell the jeep either though. The problem isn't that i need cash to fix something and i don't have that. I have three cherokees. (one is the one in my OP, One needs a head/headgasket, and one needs just some small minor things.) I just have so much into my current built cherokee that i know it's not worth selling it.

I'm thinking about buying a TDI but i don't know man.

Last edited:
you need to figure out WHY the t/case bounced down the highway.. you didnt give any input into what happened leading up to it so it's hard to help you trouble shoot it.
it's a safe bet that the transmission has some kind of damage after such a violent driveline shock, but which component failed first and which component was residual damage is hard to know.
i'd look at the trany with a flashlight and a mirror to look for external case damage, and i'd pull out the NSS and clean it to see if thats contributing to your no-start.
i'd start looking for a replacement trany.

It rolls forwards and backwards in every single gear besides park.

In park it goes about 6-12 inches and then you hear what i assume is the parking paw click in place and you can't push it anymore.

I fired it up and there's a distinctive sound coming from the bellhousing area. Maybe the torque converter? I don't know.

Here's a video of said noise.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gTHevjIMVs

you need to figure out WHY the t/case bounced down the highway.. you didnt give any input into what happened leading up to it so it's hard to help you trouble shoot it.
it's a safe bet that the transmission has some kind of damage after such a violent driveline shock, but which component failed first and which component was residual damage is hard to know.
i'd look at the trany with a flashlight and a mirror to look for external case damage, and i'd pull out the NSS and clean it to see if thats contributing to your no-start.
i'd start looking for a replacement trany.

Here's the backstory;

About a month and a half ago my double cardian joint in my driveshaft starting to get some slop in it. I was lazy (my fault, i know.) and just ignored it. It increasingly got worse and i went out and bought the parts to fix it. Never got around to doing it and one day i was driving down the highway doing ~75-80 and the vibrations started getting really bad. About two miles or so down the highway they got REALLY bad so i started slowing down and merging. About two seconds later a loud BANG occurred. A huge cloud of smoke went up in my rearview and the next thing i saw was my transfer case bouncing down the highway.

I think the centering ball sheared off, and the flange locked in an upright position (judging by the marks on the driveshaft. see third picture below) and when this happened it couldnt physically turn so instead it just turned the transfer case right out of the jeep. Jeep stalled as soon as the t-case ripped out.

Lost a bunch of sensors (don't think i lost any for the tranny) and that was the last time it was running.

Sshheeesh! Hey, can I have your roof rack?

Back