• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

performance/reliability difference between new and old style hubs?

Ex Jay

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace my hubs and rotors on the 93. Difference in price is marginal so is there any benefit to one or the other or did jeep just make a change for the sake of making a change? I once heard that the older years where built better but I can't vouch for the source and i've never pulled any apart.

The very early ones had a removable seal and could be rebuilt (assuming you has a press). Then they became pretty much what they are now, a whole part without a separate inner seal. The main difference is the backspacing to accommodate the Knuckle/Brake combo.

The flavor of unit bearing you use depends on what knuckle/brakes are are using. Changing Bearing style without changing the other parts just results in you going back to the parts store for the right part.

-Ron

I dont remember the knuckles coming in to play with this swap. I recall using 2006 tj hubs and rotors on a 94 axle without any problems. But it was awhile ago.

I think it is just the hub & rotor that changed from 90-98 & 99+. Lord knows why they changed at all. Something to do with the switch to LP axles? The 84-89 Jeeps had a different knuckle, though. Not really relevant here.

Rotors were changed to a composite style, hub changed to accommodate the hat depth of the composite rotor

There is no difference in any other component.

The brake calipers are different between the Early and Late models.
This is a change required or resulting from the change in knuckles. Not sure which, but it's zen.
Early model knuckles had a bracket for the brakes, and the Late models are cast as one piece. As far as I am aware, when the knuckles changed, so did the other components.

I guess I've never tried to install the late model bearings and disc on a early model to see if the fit. If you don't change the knuckle and caliper, to get the larger caliper, I don't see the point.

knuckles didn't change with the 99my rotor change, neither did the calipers. Same knuckle from around 1990 on up; Rotor change to composite hat in at '99, hub changed to accommodate.... can be swapped out for early hubs and cast rotors. Most if not all aftermarket rotors are made of cast these days to fit in place of the composites.
My 87 had the 2 piece knuckle and I kept the hub/axle for spares and swapped them into my 93 and they fit perfectly. The 89 and earlier knuckles, rotors and calipers are different, and were very fiddly to get that wire bail to actually keep the pads from rattling.

Last edited:
As an aside... after pulling an '88 knuckle from the junkyard, it seems to be of a higher quality than the new stuff. I mean, replaceable pad holder? Replaceable taper for the lower ball joint stud? Rad.
Plus, makes it easier to swap in bigger brakes.
AMC had it right... CHrysler made it cheaper.

Back