• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

oil spurting out breather hose or engine?

goodwilljeeper

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

I have a 2000 jeep classic cherokee. 4.0 with 242 t case and aw4 tranny

I have an oil problem of some sort. it has happened three times.

all while going up a steep grade to reno nevada. at 70mph and 3rpms for more than 35 minutes. and constantly switching (automatically) between gears.

now i understand that this could be becasue im pushing it up and over that grade pretty hard but i want to know exactly where it is coming from.

so i have 2 thoughts. one is that it is pushing oil out of a leak from the rear of the engine bay which could be possible but the amount of oil that comes out (which is literally about a quart or two) could not spray out of a seal that much. unless there is a fat chunk missing which there is none.

my second opinion which i think could be the case is the breather hose for the transmission. if there is one. im assuming that i might have over filled the tranny with fluid and now it spurts out of the breather hose when its too hot. no i dont have an inner cooler yet.

does my diagnostics seem right?

If you overfill the tranny, or moisture gets in the fluid, it will puke back out the dipstick hole.

Back