• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Problems after clutch replacement

bronco401

NAXJA Forum User
I replaced my clutch, slave cylinder, and bearing on my 92 XJ. I had the flywheel turned at the local parts store. Now it grinds a little when I shift into 2nd and 3rd gear. I never noticed it before the clutch replacement.

Could the flywheel be turned to skinny? Do I need a new master cylinder?

Possibly. I was always told to not turn it but at most scuff it. And I'dreplace the master cylinder too and flush all new fluid thru, I did when I did mine on my 92. When i did my slave, I left the flywheel alone and replaced the slave and master cylinder.

I had mine turned when I did my clutch, the peak now has 1/4 to 3/8 of free play before it engages. If yours has much more than that, it may not be completely disengaging.

Change the master cylinder, because your supposed to anyway. Then if you are still having the problem you either have a bad clutch or too much was taken off the flywheel.

I've only ever seen hydraulic problems, bad transmission & collapsed throwout bearings cause that.
Possible you got a similar but wrong throwout bearing installed?
Possible the slave isn't all the way bled?
The flywheel could be the culprit but it doesn't sound like my first choice of culprit.

I have no problems in 1st and reverse. I bled the slave 3 times to make sure the air was out. I replaced the oil in the transmission at the same time as replacing the clutch. Would this have made a bad synchro more noticeable? I guess I'm try the master next.

Id check free play since clutch engagement/disengagement will make for synchro troubles. Yes new fluid could make synchros have some issues (unlikely in your case). I personally have never resurfaced a flywheel, either scuff or if you think its bad replace. Sucks pulling a trans twice to save a few bucks.. if I had to guess id say a master cylinder replacement is in your future.

That is the amount the pedal moves before it starts to push the hydraulics. At the top, it should just be light spring pressure holding the pedal full up. You want only a little free play. But any is enough. 1/8"...........1/4", whatever. Too much and you loose your stroke at pedal blttom.

Sounds extremely similar to When I replaced my clutch this spring(2.5/ax5), the same exact thing happened to me . 1st and reverse were fine, higher gears were harder. It turned out the extra pressure from the combination of a new clutch , master , and slave was enough to fatigue then cleanly crack/break/something the Throwout bearing arm. It started drivable but within 2 weeks it snapped and it wouldn't shift (other then syncro'd shift) at all. Ended up just welding it, plenty strong. Never had a problem again.

Back