• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 no start

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
2001, 4.0, AW4, NP231. All stock charging system. Battery is only a month old and I just had it load tested and it came back good. I just came back from running errands and everything was fine. I parked it in the driveway for a few minutes and went to go start and nothing. Nothing works. No dome light, no power locks and no chime with key in the ignition. After multiple tries sometimes the domelight would come on and the key in the ignition would chime, but as soon as I turn the key to start it everything goes dark again. I had this haapen a month ago and the battery had a bad cell. Any ideas?

I checked all the underhood fuses and they all looked good except for the 40A labeled IGN ACC/RUN. That fuse had a little corrosion on it so I switched it with the 40A for the blower. I reattached the battery cables and it fired right up. Could that have been it or just coincidence? And the blower still works with corroded fuse.

The positve cable is stock. The negetive cable I replaced the connector to the battery and the one cable that comes out of it to the fender back in 2009. The posts are clean and I wired brushed the terminals when I changed the battery a month ago. They still look clean.

Take the negative cable apart an clean it. They build up crap where the cable gets clamped. Both of my jeeps do this cause i have the clamps on all my cables.To cheap to buy new ones.

HTH

The clamp style is a weak link. They should only be temporary. Best to buy a cable with the molded end at the battery. I melted the bolts out of a clamp once while excessively cranking mine over.

Back