• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

braking issue

wishihad1

NAXJA Forum User
hey everybody

well in the last few weeks my brakes have gotten kind of weak. little spongy, and just in general it doesn't stop as good. well I was going to bleed the brakes tomorrow and see what that helps. up front ive got a waggy 44, and in the rear a ford 8.8. the front right disk, and both rear disks dont look right. the jeep sits for weeks at a time periodically so getting some rust on the rotors is no big deal. however i drove it all around town yesterday and this morning I noticed that the front right disk is perfect looking (all surface rust wiped off) while the other 3 aren't. the 2 rears have only the middle 3/4 of the braking surface clean, and the front is the same, if not worse. is there some reason I would not be getting the brake pressure to the calipers the same as I used to.

I haven't lost any fluid, or have any leaks.

How many miles since you replaced the brake fluid? I'd do that. Also, I'm assuming you know that when bleeding you should start at the passenger rear, then driver rear then passenger front then driver front? Lastly, no idea what year you're working on, but most XJs have a bolt thingy on the front of the proportioning valve that can be loosened slightly and the valve itself can be bled... Though it would be strange to get air in there if you haven't lost fluid or done work recently...

Back