• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jeep won't die!!

kaptinkaveman

NAXJA Forum User
I have acquired an 89 Cherokee that has had the wiring hacked on!! When I first got this it would start but not shut off with the ignition switch. The previous owner has installed a switch between the battery positive and the starter relay and another one for power to the fuel pump relay. I then found that there was an extra wire added to the ground side of the fuel pump relay. Now the fuel pump relay is wired properly the engine would run with the ignition switch in the start position but die in the run position. Thinking that the switch crapped out I got a new one. Before installing it I used a screw driver to actuate it on the floor.

It had the same issue. Start then die in the run position. Since I had the dash apart and another Cherokee I swapped ECMs and now it will start and run but once again not shut down. Now you have to pull the B+ latch relay or the fuel pump relay to kill it. And as soon as they are replaced the fuel pump starts up again.

I have went so far as to unplug the ignition switch wile running and nothing changes. Removing the charge wire from the alternator will make it stop running when the ignition switch and battery are disconnected. The instant the battery is hooked up the fuel pump starts to run and the latch relay clicks.

I have swapped all the relays with known good ones from the other jeep and am ready to pull my hair out. I have a Factory Service Manual on the way but the wiffy poo wants her spot in the garage because of the snow.

If any of you have a direction I should take it would be greatly appreciated!! This was originally a project for my 12yr old and I. Right now I would like to do a physics experiment with Tannerite with it!

You have multiple things going on. Jump the ballast resistor. Normal functioning and the fuel pump gets current through the starter relay at the same time as the starter solenoid does (when the engine is cranking). When the motor starts and/or hits around 300 RPM, the ECU closes the fuel pump relay and it takes over for fuel pump power. If the ballast resistor is bad the motor will only run when the starter relay is activated. The fuel pump relay supplies power through the ballast resistor to the fuel pump, during normal engine running.

The yellow wire coming from your ignition switch shuts the motor off. That yellow wire goes to the ignition coil, the TCU, the ECU, the O2 heater relay, and the fuel pump actuator coil (and other places). The ground side of the fuel pump actuator coil is a yellow wire with a white stripe and goes to ground through the ECU to activate the relay. The ECU switches the fuel pump relay on and off by making a ground for the actuator coil for the fuel pump relay, the ignition switch supplies current to the plus side of the actuator coil for the fuel pump relay-

If the motor won't shut off you either have a defective ignition switch or some way voltage is finding it's way into that yellow wire circuit someplace.

Last edited:
Sorry about the double post I got distracted. :)

Last edited:
I swapped in a known good resistor, then by passed the fuel pump resistor completely. The ignition switch is new, but the motor continues to run with the switch completely removed. Some one had suggested that the headlight switch had died in their wrangler years ago and back fed power to the ignition system. So I unplugged the headlight switch.

Won"t get back in the garage for a few days. FSM should be here early next week. Mail in Montana takes a long time!!

Um, bypass the ign. switch. Install a toggle/push button for start.

Back