• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

liftgate squeak!!

Draven1474

NAXJA Forum User
I cant stand it, unless the radio is blaring all i can hear is squeak chirp squeak coming from my lift-gate. Any one have any solutions?

Put some grease on the striker? Do you still have the rubber snubbers on the side of the door that keep it tight?

what year?

97+ have liftgate bumper bushings that tend to break down. Replacing them quiets rattles & maybe squeaks.

The rear hatch has an adjustable striker plate located under the rear bumper.... I've come across an xj or two that had this adjusted all the way rearward, which prevents contact with the weatherstrip and bump pads.... Causing noises....

alright cool, my snubbers are pretty smashed down i tried turning them out a little with no success i will buy some new ones, try adjusting the striker plate, and grease it. Cherokee is a 2000 by the way. And also why is my latch so stiff and hard to open? i have to push in on the lift gate to open it, if not i feel like it could break it.

As the latch wears, it goes out of adjustment in two ways, one easy and the other less so (this is in the 97-up, early ones differ).

If you take off the panel you'll see that there is a rod you can adjust to take up some of the play in the system. That will probably work to make it open better. Don't overdo it or it won't latch properly.

Eventually, the latch mechanism wears, and because the up-down movement of the handle must be translated into sideways movement of the linkage, there's just too much play. You can, if you're too cheap to get a new handle, shim the worn pivot with a split washer. When you get it apart, it's not too hard to figure out where the problem is. I took some pictures of mine long ago, but am not at home. First try to adjust the little rod, and hope that does it.

A little grease on the latch, and new snubbers should help a lot. Don't forget to oil the hinges at the top, and the ball joints on the struts, and don't ignore the rear seat back. A little grease on the pins can help prevent squeaks. If the back is bent, try unbending it to change the contact point of the latches.

Finally, it can help a bit to spray something like Armor-All protectant on all the rubber gaskets.

so i found out today that not only is the squeak my lift-gate latch but it also clunks really hard and loud! so the squeak is easy fix but what about the loud clunk the door is making? and the noise is coming from the door banging around on the latch i think side to side movement.

so i found out today that not only is the squeak my lift-gate latch but it also clunks really hard and loud! so the squeak is easy fix but what about the loud clunk the door is making? and the noise is coming from the door banging around on the latch i think side to side movement.
The latch should come to rest in a tapered latch that limits sideways motion. If the taper is not meeting when it shuts you may have to loosen the latch on the body and move it a little.

Don't overdo, because one other cause of hatch rattling can be if the latch is too tight. Like a door, the latch has two stages and won't be tight enough if it cannot close all the way to the second stage.

No kidding, my back seat squeaks like a mofo. I've just been leaving it unlatched until I find a solution.
I finally mostly solved the problem on my 87 by finding some thin plastic tubing that just fit over the metal loops when slit lengthwise. Tape can help but doesn't last. With that in place, and greased a bit, it quieted down. Don't forget to lubricate the bottom hinges of the seats as well, as stiffness there can translate into movement at the hinges instead.

Back