• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Xj lift questions

Dunebuggydude

NAXJA Forum User
Ok everyone. I'm new to the forum and I have some simple questions about my 93 xj. I picked her up for $350 with a bad rear axle. She runs great and strong at 193000 miles. I have a jeep wrangler but I'm tired of banging it up as my DD. I'm hoping that I can build this xj into a strictly off road machine and not have to worry about breaking something and not being able to drive home so it will be a trailered jeep.

First off I'm upgrading front and rear axles most likely open with 36-38" tires, so probably a dana 60 or 80. Now the lift is what I'm not familiar with. I'd like to build a lift around 6-8 inches. I will be purchasing a sye and driveshaft, does anyone know of any springs and shackles that could be picked up out of a junkyard to meet the 6-8" requirements of my lift?

I'm gonna purchase control arms, but being that high what suspension components need to be changed? Like I said this is going to be a strictly off road crawler.

Any other info on the best buy 6-8" lift kits out there complete would be awesome! Thanks for the help!

why do you need all that lift? running big tires and axles cost money, keep it simple with 3-4" and 33's-35's

I'm willing to put the money and time into it. I want a nice crawler. If the 4.5" and 33s is better than shoot I'll do that. I want something I can be happy with and look at without saying, damn should have done this instead. I'm not used to Cherokees so I figured 6" and 35s would be perfect. If that's to big then I guess what you recommended is best. You guys deffinately know more about this than I do.

Google image search for XJs on a 6" lift with 35s. It depends on what you're doing, whether it'd be right for you. Up to you.

I'm going for more of a "go anywhere" expedition type. I'll be 4-5" with 33" tires. And 4.56 gears I think, probably. But I think you're correct in thinking you wouldn't want to think "Man, if only this was TALLER" after you drop a few grand into parts and labor to get it up! :roll:

if your serious about 60's look for a F350 kingpin 60 from a 87-92 f350 alot easier to find and cheaper then a 78-79 ford 60, for the rear 14bolt, D70 and sterling 10.5 all all good choices and are pure beef, you could also do a D60 ISU out of a ford E350 van. for suspention keep it in the 5-6" range, high enough to clear big kid tires, low enough not to be tippy everywhere. also unibody stifning and a cage are a must

My 3 inch lift from Rusty's and 31's have been all I have needed for all the off raiding I do. Unless your you doing some rock crawling or serious off roading you don't really need much more.

4.5" on 32s is what my sweetheart is sitting on. You dont need a crazy high lift to do the job. Since on the forums I have seen guys on a simple 3" lift on 33s and do amazing offroad. I would say a long arm kit up front and a rock krawlers 4 link in the rear and coil overs on all 4 corners

Thank you guys for the help. I think right now 4.5-6" of lift is perfect and going with the simple 8.8 rear locked. I'm probably going to run 33s so I'm pushing my front axle but not to much. Friday is the paycheck so here we go. I will start a build thread once I get everything going. Right now I'm doing simple stuff like removing some rust and interior panels and replacing them with sheet metal. Surface rust isn't a big deal but I'd rather stop it in its path. THANKS AGAIN!!!

Back