• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

SYE question

Ex Jay

NAXJA Forum User
Yes I've searched, yes i asked this in another thread, No I haven't found my answer. SO...

231/8.25 rear

Will the front driveshaft work as a rear when using an advanced adapters type SYE with 4-4.5" of lift?

I've done it with the H&T style on 4-6.5 with no prob.

I spoke to Advanced adapters and whipped out a measuring tape. Turns out the AA SYE will not work with the stock front shaft. So It looks like I'm doing a hack n tap.

This rig is a daily driver that will see some camping from time to time. I have no doubt that a h&t is strong enough for that use and being able to swap shafts would be nice. I do like quality components and figured I'd go AA just because.
The AA puts the center of the yoke 7" from rear of t-case. On my jeep with a 3.5" lift that puts my shaft at 33.5 inches at ride height, and I'm looking at raising it an inch.

Well then maybe you can tell me what your center to center is at ride height.
For mine it seemed there was 1 inch of actual engagement at my current height.

I have found other cases of this issue so maybe there is a difference among the xj's that we arent realizing. Or I'm smokin somthin, I dunno.

I have a similar set-up. a front shaft will "work" but I was not happy with the amount of spline engagement.
A new TW shaft fixed that,and the vibrations from a used shaft.
Running length was in the area of 34" ,IIRC

The average XJ front driveshaft is about 28" compressed and 31" extended. Some are a bit longer and some are a bit shorter. My AA SYE puts the shaft at 30". Using the DANA/SPICER pdf at the link above, you can find a Grand Cherokee driveshaft that will work and is longer than an XJ driveshaft.

Everything worked perfect in Moab for the XJ 30th/Fall Fling.

standard.jpg

Understood, however for me matching shafts was higher on the list then the increased strength of the AA sye.
On 38's with a big v8 I broke a lot of stuff but never once hurt an output shaft. I'm figuring I'll be fine on 32's and a stock motor.

Back