• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gas tank won't take gas

JeepinJosh13

NAXJA Forum User
Whenever I try to put gas in my tank the pump will not stay on. I have to pull the handle over and over for like 20 minutes to fill it up, and I have to guess at where full is. I have tried turning the nozzle all different directions and pulling it out a little bit and had no luck. Anybody know how I can fix this?

Get under the Jeep and check to make sure the fill and vent hoses are not kinked or collapsed. Does this happen at all gas stations or only certain ones?

Is the bottom of the tank caved in under the tube from the fill neck? I would have to guess it is and is making gas back up in the fill neck, which will trigger the auto shutoff.

What year is it? If it's a plastic tank 97+ I don't think the fill neck has a snorkel tube inside the tank, but pretty sure the metal tank 96- ones do. Buy a $5 spectra premium LO-01 oring and lockring kit for the fuel pump, pull the pump assembly out, and see how much space there is or if the bottom of the tank is caved in. If it is, try pushing it back down.

Back