• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Power Steering Pump do you recommend?

I have a 2000 XJ. A local mechanic installed an aftermarket steering pump and it lasted a few months before it started leaking. It was replaced, under warranty, with a second pump that leaked as soon as they installed it. The third pump has lasted 6 months and started leaking. I'm no longer using this particular mechanic. Even though my third pump is still under warranty, I'm ready to find a high quality pump. Any thoughts on a good quality power steering pump?

Have them give you your money back..
PSC is a good choice. Do you know what PS pump they used?
Carquest/Napa typically have good quality parts.

Have them give you your money back..
PSC is a good choice. Do you know what PS pump they used?
Carquest/Napa typically have good quality parts.

Thanks for the response. The particular mechanic wants to keep swapping the part under warranty. I've cut my ties with this mechanic, so I've come to terms with eating my money and going elsewhere. To answer your question, I'm not sure where they source their parts from. It's either O'Reilly, Advanced Auto, or Carquest.

Does PSC make one to fit a 2000 Cherokee? All I could find was their replacement aluminum power steering reservoir for my application, which might be what I need since it seems to be the reservoir that is always leaking.

Last edited:
Not sure.. Now that I think about it, I would check out the "2 Jeep" blog in the sierra chapter. I know he had issues with PS. Don't remember what he went with in the end.

I'll check it out.

Unfortunately, that only fits 91-96 Jeep Cherokee (XJ)

I'll check it out. Thanks!

Are you looking for an upgrade or are you looking for a stock pump with good quality?

At this rate, I'm desperate for a steering pump that will hold up. I posted this in the modified section with the intentions to upgrade. I have a 31.5" tire and occasionally do mild to moderate off-roading. I'm sure a good stock replacement will probably hold up to a 31.5" tire, but I'm willing to take any good advice.

Ive been through the same thing pal. Ive started using napa pumps because i went through 4 A-1 cardone pumps before switching.

Ive been through the same thing pal. Ive started using napa pumps because i went through 4 A-1 cardone pumps before switching.

Well, you feel my pain. :D I'm glad to hear that NAPA is working out for you though.

Make sure to buy a new and not a reman'ed pump. I got a stock replacement from Crown who uses the same supplier as OEM. Worked great in a mild DD and never had issues. The remans also seem to leak, its worth the couple bucks more to go brand new.

I went through 5 Autozone pumps and finally gave up. They all leaked between the pump and the reservoir after a few days.

Make sure to buy a new and not a reman'ed pump. I got a stock replacement from Crown who uses the same supplier as OEM. Worked great in a mild DD and never had issues. The remans also seem to leak, its worth the couple bucks more to go brand new.

I saw that Quadratec sells the Crown brand for my application. Thanks for posting. This might be my best route. Here's the link:

http://www.quadratec.com/products/56111_08.htm

I went through 5 Autozone pumps and finally gave up. They all leaked between the pump and the reservoir after a few days.

It's very time consuming and frustrating......

I use to have problems with the pumps. On the last install I installed one of the screen filters with a magnet. I haven't had a problem since.

I have a magnefine filter on mine. The filter has nothing do with the leaks that most of us are experiencing. These are poor quality manufactured parts, some are bad right out of the box.

I do not futz around with reman stuff...used OEM from a jyard or rebuild it yourself the RIGHT way.I have had a 1990 Firebird steering box I put in from a Jyard back in 2002...no leaks to this day.A rebuilt one usually has crap parts to begin with,remember they are into making money...not quality.

I have a 2000 XJ. A local mechanic installed an aftermarket steering pump and it lasted a few months before it started leaking. It was replaced, under warranty, with a second pump that leaked as soon as they installed it. The third pump has lasted 6 months and started leaking. I'm no longer using this particular mechanic. Even though my third pump is still under warranty, I'm ready to find a high quality pump. Any thoughts on a good quality power steering pump?

Have you given the '99 Dodge Durango v8 snowplow option steering pump swap any thought? Thats what I did on my 2001 and have had it in for over 4 years now running 33s with it for 3 years and the last year running 35s. No problems.

Have you given the '99 Dodge Durango v8 snowplow option steering pump swap any thought? Thats what I did on my 2001 and have had it in for over 4 years now running 33s with it for 3 years and the last year running 35s. No problems.

Is that a factory drop-in? Any modifications required? What brand did you go with? Thanks for posting.

Back