• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 XJ transfer case noise

lachlancrawford

NAXJA Forum User
Hi-

New member..just picked up a 2000 xj and am trying to get rid of a few bugs before I start installing aftermarket gear. I have to issues...

First, the transfer case makes this noise;

http://youtu.be/bNAhsyNR8tg

This is in 2wd, but 4wd doesn't change it or make any difference . CV joint where the shaft inputs the case? I changed the oil and it was clean, chain appeared to be in good shape and not loose.

The second is a metal on metal sound that is constant, and starts at 25mph and is there all the time. Kind of like the noise your brakes make if pads are rubbing on the rotor, but it's not anything to do with brakes. I can put it in neutral and turn engine off while driving and it's still there, so it's drivetrain related. It's got new pads, calipers, discs, wheel bearings, and unjoints in front axles. Diff oil recently changed, was clean with no metal. Visual inspection inside looked like everything was ok. Could this be related to the above noise or could it be a bearing inside the diff itself? Rear end appears to be quiet. Took front driveshaft out and didn't make any difference.

Any help would be great...it's driving me crazy!

Back