• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steel size for winch bumper?

TB2Blazer

NAXJA Forum User
I'm building my first winch bumper and I'm having a hard time finding the steel I had originally wanted (2x6 tubing 3/16 wall). I have found some 2x6 1/8" wall tubing and was wondering if that would work for my build? The mounting plates that will bolt to the frame will be 3/16". I'm not going to be using the winch a lot, its mostly just for emergencies. I do not wheel all that much as its my daily driver and never anything serious. Will the 1/8" wall work or should I hold out till I can find the 3/16"?

What size winch will you be using? 1/8" would be lighter for DD purposes and would probably be fine for most mild/moderate winching situations if it's built right.

I would recommend either mounting the winch itself to a 3/16" plate and bolting it to the bumper or welding a second piece of 1/8" plate to the bumper where the winch will sit to help brace that part up... especially if your winch is rated over 8K for security purposes.

3/16th is the thinnest I'd go especially if you're planning on having recovery shackles. Aside from the metal thickness, make sure your welds have good penetration. Saw a guy recently who made a stinger of out of 3/16ths DOM but welded it with a little Lincoln Weld Pak 100 and the welds busted halfway up a hill while being winched out. Scary....

Last edited:
I would go 1/4, 2x6 1/4 wall is everywhere and you know it is strong enough. Foot forward winch mounting I assume? Make sure your fairlead is aligned properly with the drum.

2x6 1/4 wall required some trimming and expansion with other bits of metal to clear the feet but I am pretty sure 3/16 or 1/8 will too.

Back