• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

One tooth off.... Would you notice?(distributor)

Demonoid369

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
So in my quest to figure out my stalling jeep(frayed/shorting wires) I replaced the distributor and as far as I can tell, I replaced correctly lol but I don't know what a engine with only one tooth off on the dist. Would be like. Is it a big or small notice? If its a big noticeable thing, then I know mines on correct, but if its small, how can I tell?
97' auto 4.0

I've heard stories of XJs that would not start because they were one tooth off.

So in my quest to figure out my stalling jeep(frayed/shorting wires) I replaced the distributor and as far as I can tell, I replaced correctly lol but I don't know what a engine with only one tooth off on the dist. Would be like. Is it a big or small notice? If its a big noticeable thing, then I know mines on correct, but if its small, how can I tell?
97' auto 4.0

The only time you would have a "small" mistiming is if the distributor drive gear was extremely worn out, or a combination of worn distributor gear and a worn camshaft gear. There would be alot of rotational slop in the rotor.

Here's a pic of a distributor properly installed at #1 at TDC compression, with timing marks aligned at zero (0) degrees. Shown with a modified cap. Note position of rotor in relation to the #1 cap terminal (yellow spot on the modified cap).

RotorPosition_0DegonTimingMarks.jpg

X2 on there being a noticeable difference. If it seems fine to you then you more than likely got it right :thumbsup: . I experimented with mine when we were troubleshooting this summer and there was no doubt when we had it wrong. Had major idle quality issues, missing out and what not.

Back