• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best tool ???

30mm socket (I just confirmed on mine)

Crescent wrench didn't work. Vice grips wouldn't work. Ended up buying the socket and it provides just the right amount of leverage so that they pop right out.

Last edited:
Some later TC's have a diabolically difficult socket instead of the nice big 30 mm. hex, and if you get a used one that's been messed up it can be a bear to get out. The hole is rather shallow and easy to ruin with the wrong wrench. On my 99 I actually ended up having to weld a wrench socket to the remains of mine. It's the same thread as the 30 mm. hex, fortunately, so it can be replaced if you can find the older type of plug.

What I have found that helps , is to coat the threads (lightly) with plumbers pipe dope,the white kind with -PTFE or Teflon.It seals the threads and provides some lube. Also just snug up the plug,,,no need to be excessive.

Is it still 1/2" NPT like the front axle? I was going to order some magnetic plugs while I had it on the lift the other day but the NAPA guy acted like I was asking for a third ear or something, so I will have to mail order. Also are there any inexpensive turdy-five covers with a pipe thread fill plug?

The problem is because the case is aluminum and the plug is steel. I put a 10mm bit on a long breaker and gently apply leverage. An impact did nothing for me except to deform the allen plug.

that allen plug is the devil incarnate. pipe wrench or the big 30mm socket gets the job done for me on the other one. the socket can be a pain in the ass sometimes because the head on that plug isn't the same as a normal bolt head it's about half as tall.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I've got the one that has a giant 30mm head and ofcourse I don't have anything over 18-20. Gonna swing by NAPA or Advanced at the end of shift today.

I found a lot of the sockets have a bevel on the inside to help guide the socket on to a nut. The problem is that the plug isn't very tall and I had a problem of the socket slipping off due to the bevel. I ended up grinding the socket down so there was no bevel and it worked a ton better.

Re: Re: Best tool ???

I found a lot of the sockets have a bevel on the inside to help guide the socket on to a nut. The problem is that the plug isn't very tall and I had a problem of the socket slipping off due to the bevel. I ended up grinding the socket down so there was no bevel and it worked a ton better.

I've done this too, not for this exact application but for a similar low profile nut (I think something to do with a JGC PS pump?) I used a HF impact socket as it's cheap and 6 point.

Thanks for all the input gentlemen. I've got the one that has a giant 30mm head and ofcourse I don't have anything over 18-20. Gonna swing by NAPA or Advanced at the end of shift today.

Just an FYI...

Remove the fill hole first (top).
Then the drain plug (bottom).

Not fun draining all the fluid out just to find you can't refill it because the top one won't come out.

Is it still 1/2" NPT like the front axle? I was going to order some magnetic plugs while I had it on the lift the other day but the NAPA guy acted like I was asking for a third ear or something, so I will have to mail order. Also are there any inexpensive turdy-five covers with a pipe thread fill plug?
Alas, the TC is not pipe threaded.

Didn't have a 30 mm. But used a 1 1/4 inch 6 point socket I had laying about. Its a bit loose, more like 32mm. But being a 6 point it worked. And ParadiseXJ's advice is important. Remove the top one first.

Back