• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

90 XJ brake proportioning valve

NCSU90XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I have determined my lack of brake pressure to the rear cylinders to be a fault proportioning valve. Now the problem is finding one. The factory P/N for a '90 XJ is 5200 6221 and for an '87-'89 is 5200 0097. The '90 XJ P/N in not available from the dealer. I pulled a proportioning valve from an '88 XJ today at the junkyard just as a backup, but I am not sure it will work for me. Does anyone know the differance between years? There were quite a few mid-90 XJ's at the junkyard the seemed to have the same looking proportioning valve body as my '90 XJ (maybe the guts are different due to different rear brakes/axles?). Can the 90 be cross referenced against a GM P/N or against a new XJ? Thanks!

If you remove the switch on top of the valve and try to move the internal valve over to

where it goes with a tiny pick, maybe it will restore flow to the rear.

How did you remove your PV without destroying your brake lines?

My 89 brake lines wouldn't budge when I tried to take mine out.

I have not checked Summit, but seeing that a new OEM part may be hard to come by, I may not have an option.

I have not removed the old one, but I am guessing the lines are going to be very difficult to remove since they have been on there for 23 years. I had to cut the lines on the one I pulled from the junkyard. Did not try removing the top switch, but I took the front fitting off (bleeder valve??) then removed/reinstalled the valve and bled the system. Don't think it fixed my problem, though, but I figured I'd try the simple stuff first. Did not think about removing the top switch.

Back