• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

88 Xj: Turn Signal & Parking Lamp Issue(s)

RAVC1

NAXJA Forum User
I expect these to be separate issues.

My right front turn signal has a history of not working. I interchange bulbs with the LtFt park/turn signal socket and no RtFt turn signal, but both parking lamps remain functional. The RtFt parking lamp/turn signal socket was replaced a long time ago and remains in good electrical condition.

Two weeks ago I had to replace my LtFt lamp socket. I also replaced the bulbs for both parking lamps/turn signals. The RtFt lamp has been brighter...and I did not make the connection until my turn signals began acting up (work one day, not the next, etc., repeat). Both filaments of the RtFt bulb are illuminated, but the turn signal filament is dimmer. What causes this and how do I fix this problem?

First, I have exchanged the Wagner 552 12 VDC flasher relay with that for the emergency flashers. This did not help flasher function.

Tonight my turn signals were not working, but they did this morning. I purchased and installed a HD 12 VDC flasher relay on my way home, but this has not helped flasher function either. I pulled the 20A Turn/BackUp fuse and noticed one of the terminals in the fusebox is spread too wide so I need to reduce this gap to make progress with turn signal operation. The turn signals are currently working...albeit temporarily.

Lastly, it also appears my clutch master cylinder is leaking and we know this will erode the fuse block so I'd better fix this one quickly!

Any advice on getting only the parking lamp filament to light?

Rick

behind the driver's side headlight & just in front of the air filter box, is a rectangular harness plug. it'll have around six wires passing through it. this is the wiring for the front lights. disconnect it & clean the terminals in both sides of the plug.
for whatever reason, every pre-'91 xj I've ever owned has had serious corrosion issues in that connector.
my Comanche was bad enough that I cut the plug out completely & rewired it using a six terminal gm weatherpack style plug. worked out great.

Many thanks!

I have heard of this connector before, but it was referenced to the passenger side of the vehicle. I will examine it and plan for replacement as you have because, this seems to be a longer term solution.

I'll go out and look for the connector after a little more coffee...

Rick

Check your grounds as well. Sounds like a ground issue to me. Also, this can't hurt from Cruiser:

cruiser54 said:
Improving the Instrument Panel Ground
The ground point for the complete instrument cluster on your XJ or MJ is located up under the driver’s side dash. If you lay on your back and look up under there with a flashlight, without wearing a hat, you will see a black wire attached to a shiny piece of metal almost directly above the hood release knob. The screw will have either a ¼" or 5/16" head on it.
This ground point is responsible for handling the ground circuit for the following items: Dome lamps, Seatbelt and key warning, trans comfort switch, wiper switch, headlamp switch and delay module, fog lamp switch, cargo lamp switch, all instrument panel grounds and illumination, power windows and door locks, cruise control dump valve, and a few more things.
The problem is that where the ground point is located does not have a good contact with the chassis where the ground should be. The solution is simple.
Make up a jumper wire with #10 gauge wire about 10" long. On one end, crimp on a ¼" round wire terminal. On the other end, crimp on a 3/8" round wire terminal.
Remove the screw from the existing ground wire and attach the small terminal of your jumper so that the original wire and your new jumper share the same attaching point, one over the other.
Look above the driver’s side plastic kick panel just forward of the top of the hood release knob. You will see an 8mm stud there. Attach the large terminal end there with a washer and nut over it tightened securely.
**Special note for Comanche owners: Make your jumper wire 12" long and attach it on the driver’s side kick panel close to the fusebox on the 8mm stud.**

Revised 11-28-2011
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1072534&page=2

My original problem with the front passenger turn signal and parking lamp was due to a mental lapse on my part (i.e., stupidity) in that I used the color code on the replacement lamp socket and directly matched this to the wiring harness because, the colors involved are the same (Brn/Blu/Blk). Nice idea, but functionally wrong. I exchanged the Brn/Blu wires and that lamp now lights at the same intensity as the drivers side parking lamp.

The turn signal functionality has made progress as the passenger side lamp operates correctly as a result of my wiring correction. Unfortunately, the driver's turn signal function is impaired sometimes. I disassembled/remade all (3) of its connections again this evening and it appears to remain problematic. My son simply touched the bulb/socket lightly once and it worked then failed. I decided to assemble the driver's side lamp assembly and check is again. No luck. I then decided to press on the parking lamp/turn signal plastic housing lightly...the driver's turn signal worked when I began cleaning up. I hope it does all day tomorrow as the law enforcement agencies pull people over for issues like these (particularly rear plate lamps that are out).

I'm uncertain what these two incidents of gentle contact restoring turn signal functionality mean. I tug like hell on the lamp pigtail and the entire harness in this section of the body with the turn signal control active in the cabin and none of this results in a working turn signal. Is this a lamp or lamp/socket interface issue? The gentle tap may make it work yet more vigorous pulling on all wires involved at this location have not given rise to proper operation...

I will check the ground lug in the passenger cabin tomorrow (when light returns).

Thanks for the help.

More gentle tapping on the parking lamp/turn signal housing this morning during my errands caused the driver's side turn signal to work, not work, etc.

I exchanged the two bulbs minutes ago and lost the passenger side turn signal. We have the answer! The defective bulb will be replaced...maybe posthumously! The gentle tapping told me it had to be something in the bulb so I guess my intuition served me in this example.

Thanks for the responses.

Rick

Back