• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ax15 clutch trouble

rquarte

NAXJA Forum User
Started the MJ and drove it for the first time today since the ax15 swap from the Ba10. It went into gear great to get it out of the driveway, smooth shifting it felt very nice. Took it around the block a few times and started to notice it didn't want to go into 1st or 2nd anymore. Stopped in a parking lot and could not get it to go into anything lower than 3rd.

The clutch is definitely not disengaging. I switch the transfer case to neutral while running and can shift it fine.

It has the plastic pre bled master and slave. Which seems to be working fine, plenty of resistance when I push the clutch and the push rod on the master is defiantly bottoming out so it can't be that.

I'm just curious what you guys may think it could be. How could it shift perfect and then slowly get worse to the point where it will not go into any gear while running.

New clutch, TOB, shift fork, pilot bushing, fly wheel. Everything is new. It a later model Ax15 so it has the retainer on it.

sounds like my AX15 before it went boom... being a poor college student, i limped it around for 3 years double clutching it on every shift.

ive never been able to shift any of my 3 AX15s into reverse very well, even after a new clutch, shift fork, and throw out bearing. it seems the trick is to throw them into 4th and then reverse.

Your experience is nonsense...

Tell us more. You have pressure, but do you have 'the appropriate level of motion' of the pressure plate/fork/TOB.

Have you looked inside the passenger cabin to determine if their is fluid on the master cylinder shaft? If yes, a seal in the M/C is leaking. This is likely to be degrading the travel of the clutch fork.

I you clutch fork operation correct? I'm wondering if it is binding anywhere throughout its range of travel or, is something wrong with the retaining clip on the passenger side pivot.

Can you get under the vehicle and remove the dust cover and observe the clutch fork/TOB motion as someone in the car exercises the clutch pedal?

I have converted (3) Xj's from the AW4 to the AX-15 and had few issues. My current Limited AX-15 is tired, but gets the job done!

I think you need to know your systems are performing correctly.

Rick

Back