• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

NWC Nomination Discussion

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am TORX, and I am running for NWC President.

I've been lurking around NAXJA since 2004. I've been actively involved with this club since 2006. This includes two terms as NWC President, and one term as NWC Treasurer. I've actively taken part in the planning of four Northwest Fest events, and countless trail rides over the years. Needless to say, I know what I'm getting myself into, and look forward to it.

At the end of 2012 I became flat burned out on the NWC. Drama on the forum, drama off the forum, TSF, TSF, TSF, it was the same old stuff over and over. I simply felt I needed a break from the "leadership" role. Maybe the NWC needed a break from TORX too. I had confidence the elected BOD would be able to serve the chapter well, but I also knew they would have their work cut out for them. I give Josh and Aaron credit for sticking in there this year, and trying to make the best of things.

After Northwest Fest my feelings really hadn't changed too much regarding being actively involved with the club. Nothing really seemed to have changed much. Nevertheless, I just kept on wheeling every chance I got. In August I did a solo run down to our neighboring chapter's event, SierraFest. After spending a week on the Rubicon and Deer Valley with the Sierra Chapter crew I realized what this club was about. A bunch of dudes and their Jeeps, out to have a good time.

In recent years I think the NWC has swayed from this, and become too tight knit. Suddenly, things were becoming too personal. Fun amongst friends oftentimes crossed over into the NWC. I can easily see how this could deter new members and drive away the old. In this past year though I feel like a lot of us have grown up, moved on, or realized how much of an impact every member has on the portrayal of this club. The NWC isn't a social media site. It's a forum for all of us XJ owners to shoot the sh!t, and discuss upcoming events.

So after SierraFest I decided to renew my NAXJA membership. I had faith in this club once again after venturing outside the NWC to remind me what it's about. In October, I was fortunate enough to be able to attend the 30th XJ Anniversary Event in Moab, Utah. NAXJA members from across the United States (CA, NY, CO, TN, NC, AZ, TX, etc) all traveled to Moab for this NAXJA event. This was NAXJA on the National level. It was pretty surreal, and once again helped cement what NAXJA really means to me.

On the lengthy drive home I reflected on the NWC this year, and it's current status. It was during this time I decided to run for President again. I figured this chapter could use an active member to help lead. I've done the job before, I know what to expect, and I think I'm pretty active when it comes to getting out on the trails. I also have some new ideas floating around.

I'm not saying I'm going to fix this chapter, and get us back to our OG ways. I don't think that's a realistic thing to shoot for. If we try too hard we will just set ourselves up for failure.

TORX's 2014 Plan:

I'm going to continue to wheel the socks off my Jeep. Hopefully, I don't f*ck up Phase2.0 too bad.

I'm going to plan another kick-ass Northwest Fest. Maybe a date change, maybe a venue change, or not...

I'm going to try and plan some more regular meet-n-greet events. I feel these are always a fun time. They are a great way for new members to check us out, and give all our web wheelers events to go to as well.

That's pretty much it. I'm not really concerned with "membership growth and enhancement". I don't feel like this is something we can control easily. If the NWC is active on the trail, and our forum is inviting to newcomers, then I feel we will gain some quality members who will be worthwhile to the club. I'd rather reward our current longtime members than offer new membership incentives.

I will encourage all of you to consider a NAXJA Membership even if you don't support the NWC. I will tell you NAXJA on a National level is pretty amazing with our land use efforts (I remember a few years ago we donated something like $18,000 to help keep our trails open!), PR for the sport, our ungodly amount of tech information, and all the awesome events NAXJA sponsors around the country. It's a club I'm proud to be associated with. Step on board for 2014!

With all this being said, I hope I have earned your vote. For the forum lurkers, I hope to see you at an event or two in the next year. For the OG members, here's to having a fun filled 2014. :cheers:

I'd love to hear what you guys think as well. Either post up or shoot me a PM. What do you want to see happen next year? What's keeping you from becoming a member of this club? Why are you a member? How about a NWC road trip to Kentucky for NAXJA's 15th Birthday? :cool:

-TORX

I think you have brought up a Variety of good points..

Instead of Pushing for new membership, I believe the NWC needs to get out there and make a stronger presence in the PNW..

When I got started in this club, I was greeted by awesome guys that enjoyed just being out of town.. It didnt matter what you had, or what you knew.. It was "Run what you brung" and enjoy yourself. 4-5 Years ago this chapter used to have North end runs, Monthly events and larger turn outs.. I dont see that coming back without us simply spending less time bickering on the forum, and more time face to face on a trail, or at a restaurant, Or at a "Local show"

It's my goal to Help re-establish the NWC in the north end.. Trips like the Evans/Elbe Double header run, In my opinion are a great way to start, It's beautiful up there.. and I regret not stepping out of my comfort zone sooner.

Despite who becomes BOD, Its all about the Goal of how things will be a Year from now.. And for me.. I want to see alot more trail time.. Lets meet new faces on the busy wild and Firebreak 5, And bring our Chapter back up to par to be as awesome as the rest of the Club..

I'd really like to do a NWC run to the Rubicon this year... Wheeling with Thom again is Definitely on my bucket list..:D

In conclusion..
2014 Is going to be an awesome year of wheeling..:firedevil

I have not yet got a 2nd for nominations but I will join in the discussion.

I have been here since around the 2007/8 mark, I joined like many of the others. Looking for Tec info and found the chapter section shortly thereafter. My sons 1st run was @ the 4week mark (saddle up adoption) and he has been at almost every run since. He is 4 now. I did not begin the year looking to be a BOD, as the year (2013) went on, I was at the forefront of a lot of controversial things here in the NWC. Mid-way through the year the acting treasurer stepped down from his position. It left a BIG hole. Having been in the middle of a lot here, I did not want to be just a talker, but (being presented with the opportunity to do so); I wanted to walk the walk too.
I threw my name in the hat to become treasurer and won the election (thanks everybody)

After gaining my position here I received the NWC cash box and "most" of the documentation for the NWC. After reviewing what was in the box and looking at the cash on hand, it was evident to me that there had been a need for structure, documentation, and overall organization for some time. I developed 2 things. An "inventory sheet" and a "balance sheet" one to track what the chapter has in its inventory, how much value is there, and when the stuff is moving. The other is to track the chapters finances overall. There are several categories so that each idem can be listed in the according section then finalizes the totals so that we can see (on one piece of paper) just where we were at with the chapters finances. The chapter store had not been up and running for I don't know how long, and even of it was. There was very little to offer for sale to the public. That is now a thing of the past. There are several things available in the chapter store now, and we are ready to not only take and ship orders, but get some other swag things going as well. These are not only on paper, but in software form as well. All of this can and will be transferred to the next of kin in an orderly and smooth fashion from now on. The Nwc now has a business checking and savings accounts setup for all activities. All of the accounts can be managed online via login (PayPal, checking, savings, etc.) you could not do this when I took office.

After NWFest our pres. and VP has more than busy schedules and were not able to come up with as much time to devote to the trail activities (understandable) so I ended up taking on more of a leadership role than I had intended on when agreeing to office. I had a TON of great times. No I didn’t get to go to Moab or the rubi this year, but I met a bunch of GOOD people that reminded me why I enjoy this so much. So thanks for than guys/gals I would not trade that for the world.

Tessa and I put on the 1st NWC parade. it was a very good time. and we had a blast getting the word out.(thanks to all that showed) there seemed to be mixed emotions about it amongst the chapter, so we are still up in the air about weather or not we will do it again this year.

Ending the year, we are working on a land use donation that should be matched by national. I hope to have a wonder full holiday session. I bummed I won’t be able to make the turkey run. But I will be back out soon.:D

For 2014 as VP:

I have nothing extravagant planed nor do I really want to be neck deep in drama, but I do CARE about this club, chapter, and the people that have been involved with it (past present or future) I am a strong willed person by nature, and I tend to call things like I see them. I know this tend to lead to food in mouth syndrome from time to time. You should know it's not because I don't care.

More than anything else for me is that I would like to see some consistency come back to the NWC. There have been so many ups and downs here over the last few years. And Bod's with different ethics, views, and aspirations for the club. That really, I just want things to plateau off for a while. Get the heart of the chapter pumping good again. As VP I will always follow the prez's lead on things, but at the same time have everything I have learned (about the club, people, and business, when dealing with the club issues, and coordinating club events)
in mind when working on chapter business.

I look forward to more fun with all the good people here. and I am very optimistic about 2014.

Thankyou
John Parmenter
(A.K.A.-Bronzewyrm)

I don't know if I have any saying since I'm black letter but I would like to see more activities towards the Salem/Albany area. Most are in gresham(I swear its like 98% of you guys lol) but because of that its hard for guys like me and others to come do these meet and greets and what not. Like maybe a middle ground to meet(wilsonville,etc..) would be nice. I like this chapter and have met a good amount of you guys and think you all are good bunch of guya(gold cobra is a funny and strange man lol)
But who ever does become pres, and vice. I hope you can try and include us guys farther south lol

That's pretty much it. I'm not really concerned with "membership growth and enhancement". I don't feel like this is something we can control easily. If the NWC is active on the trail, and our forum is inviting to newcomers, then I feel we will gain some quality members who will be worthwhile to the club. I'd rather reward our current longtime members than offer new membership incentives.

I will encourage all of you to consider a NAXJA Membership even if you don't support the NWC. I will tell you NAXJA on a National level is pretty amazing with our land use efforts (I remember a few years ago we donated something like $18,000 to help keep our trails open!), PR for the sport, our ungodly amount of tech information, and all the awesome events NAXJA sponsors around the country. It's a club I'm proud to be associated with. Step on board for 2014!

-TORX

This is exactly how I feel, with whats left of this club, I think we should slow down on the Urge to gain membership, and instead.. Make a better effort at getting to see faces more often.. At minimum Something needs to be planned Monthly, Weather its A day trip out to Sandlake, A weekend at Naches.. Or a MeetNGreet at Red robin in Beaverton (Remember those days?) I think we need to stop focusing on these "Annual" trips, And remember what it was like to "wing it" I say... Lets change it up this year!!

And I Also agree with this.. weather you want to be involved or not, Or you dont have time.. This club would not be what it is nationally, without membership growth.. From land use issues nationally, All the way down to Chapter level raffles.. Without membership..Nobody would have had the opportunity to buy a Give-a-way Jeep Raffle ticket this year.. there wouldn't have been a jeep to raffle off!

I don't know if I have any saying since I'm black letter but I would like to see more activities towards the Salem/Albany area. Most are in gresham(I swear its like 98% of you guys lol) but because of that its hard for guys like me and others to come do these meet and greets and what not. Like maybe a middle ground to meet(wilsonville,etc..) would be nice. I like this chapter and have met a good amount of you guys and think you all are good bunch of guya(gold cobra is a funny and strange man lol)
But who ever does become pres, and vice. I hope you can try and include us guys farther south lol

Ya'know.. I do agree, But we have people from the Oregon/California border.. all the way to B.C. It's really hard for all those "Gresham" guys to plan a dinner get-together in Salem.. Albeit, I do travel down there often..

With that said, I think in this scenario, I'd love for someone in that area to really step up and get involved.. By all means.. Post up a thread 2 weeks in advance to meet at your favorite local spot.. and see if you can gain interest, You never know.. some of the Portland guys might come down! But mainly, I bet you'd atleast spike some interest for the salem area guys :roll:

I'd love to see someone up north.. For instance The_Wierdo On the BOD, I'd love to have someone up there really Re-establish this chapter with the Meet and greets.. Not saying it would rest solely on him.. But it would really help Us Portland guys when it comes to planning..:wierd:

I’m Josh “the_weirdo” and I’m running for Treasurer.

Why should you vote for me:
a) I like money…a lot.
b) You can trust me not to steal money from NAXJA because I have pretty sweet work and family situations going on and I don’t want to spend time in prison…I’m too cute for prison.
c) I have been the treasurer for the Sierra Chapter

Like many NAXJA members my life revolves around my Jeep – I love off-roading and NAXJA. The NAXJA that I know is about a few key principles:
1. Wheeling with buddies, BS’ing around the campfire, or just hanging out in the garage wrenching on someone's junk.
2. Having several guys who are always ready to lend a hand and help fix your Jeep if it brakes on the trail.
3. Knowing that most members would trailer a broken rig home for you even if it meant a 4-hr round trip for them.
4. Nobody taking themselves too seriously.

From what I’ve experienced in the last 9 months, this chapter is really good at items #1-3; and it seems that #4 could use a little work. I’m hoping that a little fresh blood and some new perspective can help make things a little better.

I’m living up near Seattle and I’d like to get some more action going on in North end of the Chapter. It's been tough for me to be super-active for the past few months due to a ton of business travel but that should taper off soon and I look forward to getting some extra seat time in the Jeep. I've made a lot of great friends and had a lot of excellent wheeling in the Sierra Chapter, I plan to continue that in the NWC.

I got this from red jeep 2.0 this morning. I wish I knew what this was about.

RedJeep2.0 said:
You think you have what's best for the chapter in mind?

After losing you mod powers, you really shouldn't be running.

I think you should step down, if you know what's best for the NWC.

Don't be selfish. Do what's best, and step down.

nick, I never had mod powers. they had been taken from the chapters bod's since before I took office. But thanks for your concern.

Bronze.

Its weird to me that there is like 0 presence in this chapter from the eastern WA area. Any of you guys know some people over this way? Eburg/Yak/Tri cities etc. Maybe there are forum lurkers and I have just not run into them yet.

Either way I really want to get into a run with you guys one of these days, I have never been to TSF, and have whipped all the trails in WA that I know of(except Walker). Im gonna try and head that way this spring. Is that a good time to hit TSF and it be a challenge?

It seems the Chapter is starting to have a lot more life as of lately, thats a good thing!

I got this from red jeep 2.0 this morning. I wish I knew what this was about.

nick, I never had mod powers. they had been taken from the chapters bod's since before I took office. But thanks for your concern.

Bronze.

This is why I don't think John should have anything to do with being a mod.

This was his response to that PM

715E4449-C13B-4008-B7C2-4B9E0E60842D-6115-000002F3B0B34D73_zpsc495584c.jpg

E57155F0-1470-4458-BC56-54AA187124A7-6115-000002F3B609C556_zps0cff1575.jpg

DA549794-6262-416B-B52B-16EB146A7DEF-6115-000002F3B9A866A0_zps4550b36c.jpg

This is where I left the conversation alone

Its weird to me that there is like 0 presence in this chapter from the eastern WA area. Any of you guys know some people over this way? Eburg/Yak/Tri cities etc. Maybe there are forum lurkers and I have just not run into them yet.

Either way I really want to get into a run with you guys one of these days, I have never been to TSF, and have whipped all the trails in WA that I know of(except Walker). Im gonna try and head that way this spring. Is that a good time to hit TSF and it be a challenge?

It seems the Chapter is starting to have a lot more life as of lately, thats a good thing!
TSF is a great local spot But the trails are short in comparison
They are doing a TON of work to fix that and you can enjoy a whole weekend up there.

I would love to see a stronger presence all over the northwest, the only way to do that is to get out and meet people on the trail or at work parties

My two biggest goals for the NWC this year are
1: Less online drama
2: A lot more wheeling

Look, guys. I woke up this morning to a pm calling me out. via pm. I made an attempt to contact nick, in hopes that we could resolve our differences. That, obviously is not what nick (redjeep2.0) has in mind here. I tried to call, and text. i just want things to calm down a little around here.

posts, pm's, and texts like I got today. solve nothing, and continue to harm the chapter as a whole.

like i said before. if ANYBODY has something to discuss. Please, CALL ME! things are much easer to deal with face to face or via phone.

thx
Bronze.

I am Adam skinner (AKA SPECFab) i am running for NWC VP
and i promise everyone afordable health care ( oh wait Obama already used that one)
honestly i dont care who wins and dont have any empty promises.
I just want the chapter to come together as a whole for some good times.
and if elected i will do everything i can to see that happen

I think the vp should be able to spell.
Adamn can spell

Not what this is about Eric :conceited

Look, guys. I woke up this morning to a pm calling me out. via pm. I made an attempt to contact nick, in hopes that we could resolve our differences. That, obviously is not what nick (redjeep2.0) has in mind here. I tried to call, and text. i just want things to calm down a little around here.

posts, pm's, and texts like I got today. solve nothing, and continue to harm the chapter as a whole.

like i said before. if ANYBODY has something to discuss. Please, CALL ME! things are much easer to deal with face to face or via phone.

thx
Bronze.

John,
I sent you a Private Message to try and avoid this, I tried to come to you man to man.
Being that it was about NAXJA I used a PM.

You're right, I don't want to talk to you on the phone, because you have a tendency to threaten people.
Whether it be yelling at a members kids at an event or threatening my self and 3 other members of this forum with bodily harm.
One of witch ended with the police being involved and a report being filed.

I don't know what to tell you nick. NAXJA is NOT the place to work out our differences. that's why I tried to contact you directly. if you unwilling to even talk to me on the phone, about some personal differences, there is not much that i can do to solve these problems. The ball is in your court man. I am not the one who keep bringing problems to the forums.

you have a tendency to threaten people.
Whether it be yelling at a members kids at an event or threatening my self and 3 other members of this forum with bodily harm.
One of witch ended with the police being involved and a report being filed.

Im getting really tired of the fictional, stories you create about me.. please stop. its just plain annoying. Call it what you want to call it. You know how to get these problems put behind us. it just really bothers me that you keep this up over and over.

AND, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.!!!1

I will try to state this another way. I was not the one that came to the keyboard to create an issue. Now that there is an issue. I, am doing whatever I can to solve it.

What else can i do nick? should I just stand here and be your whipping boy?:dunno: Where does this end? what is it going to take? you tell me.

Bronze.

and hes handsome
I'm handsome in a tux ;)

I'm Scott Bye, Running for chapter Vice President.

As VP I promise to Wheel my junk As often and Hard as possible this year..

I Plan to do everything I can to re-establish the NWC On the trail and have a ton of fun doing it..

I Plan to bring Firewood to Campouts and Stickers to Offroad shows, And Eat Pizza at all work parties that come up..

I will Support the president's decisions on Who gets spankings as-well as when to delete Redjeep2.0 and Bronzewyrms posts.. Furthermore I will start early and work hard on making Northwest fest An awesome Memorable experience for all that attend.

With that said, I also will give Everyone that votes for me a dollar. (Shhh.. that's bribery.. )

Thank you! :roll:

This thread got kind of interesting for awhile. :D

I think we need to stop focusing on these "Annual" trips, And remember what it was like to "wing it" I say... Lets change it up this year!!

Until you I read this I had never thought about this concept before. I agree, some of us have become too fixed on the tradition. Sure, we have some memorable runs throughout the year, but it's nice to be able to just wing it and go wheeling on a free weekend. Why prep for six months for one run? Get out and wheel your junk!

With that said, I think in this scenario, I'd love for someone in that area to really step up and get involved.. By all means.. Post up a thread 2 weeks in advance to meet at your favorite local spot.. and see if you can gain interest, You never know.. some of the Portland guys might come down! But mainly, I bet you'd at least spike some interest for the Salem area guys

Agreed. I've heard this a lot in the past too. As of right now the PDX area is pretty active within the chapter. This wasn't always the case, and might not be in the future. It's up to those local to an area to help boost membership for their area. We have NWC business cards available, and I have some national NAXJA cards to help spread the word if need be. What it comes down to is being proactive and seeing if there's any interest in a run or event in your area.

Its weird to me that there is like 0 presence in this chapter from the eastern WA area. Any of you guys know some people over this way?
I know there are several clubs in your area (associate clubs of the PNW4WDA). I'd suggest hooking up with one of them to help introduce you to local Jeep guys. There's a lot of XJ guys out there who aren't aware of NAXJA.

I have never been to TSF, and have whipped all the trails in WA that I know of(except Walker). Im gonna try and head that way this spring. Is that a good time to hit TSF and it be a challenge?

TSF is lame.

I'm handsome in a tux ;)
Pics?

Like I stated before, I'm looking forward to 2014 with the NWC. I consider the NWC "my" club, and as much as I would like to walk away sometimes, I can't.

Adam, John, and Scott, best of luck to you guys, and thanks for stepping up. I would have no problem working with any of you for the next year. :cheers:

By the way, shouldn't the polls be posted? Slackerz.

Last edited:
Thnx Torx. Yeah I am aware of some of the jeep clubs around here, we run into them often on the trail, none of them have mentioned naxja, though neither have I. Thats why I am always looking on here for guys from this club also, just surprised I dont see more is all.

I am actually in a local club, called Jeep Unit, a club my cousin started and we are basically about 10 jeeps of family and close friends.

Its always cool to meet new jeep guys, or wheelers in general, one of these days we will meet im sure. Maybe nwfest.

Back