• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering Wheel Swap

jeep.kevin

NAXJA Forum User
So I've got a 96 with cruise control on the steering wheel and I have to say I hate this steering wheel so much. Its just starting to break down and a new one is in the future.

My question is, have any of you with similar year jeeps put a different wheel in it and moved the cruise control buttons elsewhere? If so some pictures or detailed descriptions would be appreciated.

I just prefer a steering wheel like the older jeeps, like what my old 89 had ...RIP...

I believe, by LAW, you have to run an airbag wheel in an airbag equipped vehicle. Some have swapped WJ wheels in XJ's. And I know some have done aftermarket. You can get switches/aftermarket cruise kits that install wherever you want.

I know what you mean about the legal aspect of it. I don't even like having an airbag. I feel like I'm one good off road bump or harsh hit away from an airbag being in my face. I was more curious about re-routing the wires for cruise than anything else. I've never taken a steering columb apart aside from replacing a few odds n ends.

Re: Re: Steering Wheel Swap

I believe, by LAW, you have to run an airbag wheel in an airbag equipped vehicle. Some have swapped WJ wheels in XJ's. And I know some have done aftermarket. You can get switches/aftermarket cruise kits that install wherever you want.

No such law.

Re: Re: Steering Wheel Swap

No such law.

X2 - Utah has some fairly tuff inspection criteria, and they could care less if your airbag light is lit-up like a Christmas tree... Doubt if anywhere in the country does. It's considered optional safety equipment.

Though I wouldn't worry about it deploying on the trail, they don't get armed until you exceed something like 35mph IIRC. I've never seen nor heard of one activating on the trail - even after rollovers and front-end collisions...

I see, well that makes me feel a little better about the airbag. I think ill just get a grant steering wheel or something like that and just put the buttons for the cruise somewhere on the dash. I'm thinking from the looks of it I can just take the panel with those buttons off and modify it to fit into the unused panel above the cigarette lighter.

Well, I know that insurance companies frown upon this. And, can be a deciding factor of a claim.
I would contact DOT and confirm.

In theory, you can find the correct wires for the CC and splice into them and put buttons wherever you want.
If you go with a grant, it will not show an adapter kit for your heep, the one from earlier heep will work fine. I believe that the PN is 3196? You will also need to modify your clockspring for the turn cancel function.

X2 - Utah has some fairly tuff inspection criteria, and they could care less if your airbag light is lit-up like a Christmas tree... Doubt if anywhere in the country does. It's considered optional safety equipment.

Though I wouldn't worry about it deploying on the trail, they don't get armed until you exceed something like 35mph IIRC. I've never seen nor heard of one activating on the trail - even after rollovers and front-end collisions...

Rick (jump_this) had his go off after doing sledge hammer. I'm considering pulling mine and fitting the wheel off my 91.

Mark

Back