• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Two differential questions

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
2001 XJ with an OEM geared 4.10 Dana 30 front.

1. I found a bolt holding my differential cover had sheared off. There is a bolt at the very bottom of the differential. The busted one is the next one up towards the driver's side. So do I drill it out and re-tap, or just RTV the hell out of it and put the cover back on with one less bolt.

2. I blew the front drive shaft u-joint while wheeling this weekend. I got new Spicer U joint straps and a new Spicer u-joint. When I went to install, I noticed that part of the carnage was the little retainer tab on the yoke on one side sheared off during the event. So I have the retainer on one side, but not the other. I torked down the u-joint strap and the u-joint isn't moving, but I haven't had it under load yet. Is this going to be an issue if I keep the strap bolts nice and tight?

1) If the bolt is not seized, an easy-out will be able to remove it.

2) You need a new yoke. The u-joint will spit the cap out no matter how tight the strap is.

1) If the bolt is not seized, an easy-out will be able to remove it.

2) You need a new yoke. The u-joint will spit the cap out no matter how tight the strap is.

1. I think it was cross threaded. I'll have to look into an easy out, I guess

2. Damn. Is that a junk yard item and it is specific to the gearing. Heck, do I even need to fool with the guts of the differential to change a yoke?

1. Is there enough exposed to grip it? Or cut a slot?

2. You can order a yoke online, but the j/y option will be cheaper

You.really should pull the carrier and check bearing.preload before taking it apart.

Before I knew better, I replaced.the yoke on an 8.25, torued it to 80ft lbs, loctited and staked.the nut.and.it didn't explode before I swapped it for an 8.8 crush sleeves bring the suck

1. Is there enough exposed to grip it? Or cut a slot? Nope, but I remembered I have a set of extractors

2. You can order a yoke online, but the j/y option will be cheaper Yep, $11 at the PaP

You.really should pull the carrier and check bearing.preload before taking it apart. I have no idea what that means! :dunno:

The amount of torque required to spin the pinion.
You will want to get this pretty close to what it was with the old yoke.

Back