• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

info needed on steering

adrenalinepirate

NAXJA Forum User
I'm about to build my front axle and want to upgrade the steering. My rig is my dd and will go wheelin on days off. What I'm trying to accomplish is not having to notch or grind my ruff stuff diff cover. First I was going to do one ton steering by jcr then found serious offroad but on further research found out I would have issue with steering hitting the diff cover at full lock. I am not going to do anything crazy only on 33's. But I do not want to go through tie rod ends and deal with a dead spot. I know the spacer helps but am thinking about my issue as a simple bolt and play. .

Little rig info.
96 4 door
Auto
Ford 8.8 lsd 4:56
Hp 30 selcetable locker
3 inch lift and 33's

These are the opinions I'm considering

Opinion 1- Rusty
http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-tie-rod-hd-replacement-xj-tj-zj.html
(worried about this clearing the ruff stuff cover and is not solid but almost 5 times thicker then stock)

Opinion 2-Iron Offroad
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merc...=IROR&Product_Code=IR-SHDTR&Category_Code=PFX
(leaning towards this due to being solid, smaller in diameter and I have extra tie rods to use and for back ups)

Any opinions or knowlegde would help. Also I can not justify buying curries setup for what I'm going to be run ing as trails and camping.

Thanks

Currie

Or just upgrade the tie rod

Or what I want to try is using a RHD draglink with goferit inserts in both knuckles, but If I do this or if anyone else does, I would order 2 draglinks because if you need one you won't find it at a parts store. (and a HD tie rod to go with it)

And FYI, currently I am just running a Poison Spider Tie Rod (pretty sure it's 1.5" OD,.25 wall) and it clears my Ruff stuff diff cover and you will kill a draglink before you dent a .25 -1.5" peice of DOM.

Last edited:
I'd look at the ZJ V8 tie rod swap. Uses larger tie rod ends than IRO (I think), can be had cheaper than either rustys or IRO (for sure) and is ~1" solid stock, so damned hard to harm. If you have 1/2" clearance with the factory tie rod, you're good to go with ZJ.

I heard, once, of an outfit using Dodge Truck tie rod ends w/ XJ steering but don't know who what where.

the only advantage ive found with the ZJ stuff is that when (not if) you bend it, it wont fold like the thin walled stocker and rip in 2. ive bent more than my fair share from the first time i went wheeling. and 1/4" walled DOM is going to be stronger than solid stock.

big bad ZJ tie rod on 33s.
529979_390853807635708_2028747506_n.jpg

and i believe the tie rod that white98xj has uses the dodge rod ends. im not sure if its available anymore.

Last edited:
First off thank you for responding everyone.

Doug I did look at that setup but the price, heims and the way it looks I'm not a fan of. I know we spend a lot of money on our rigs just trying to be smart on my chioces of components for what I will use my rig for. I was always told heims do not last on the street and with our climate/magchloride. Heims should be a trail only rig(I know you have heims along with keifer). I want something no matter what part of the country I'm in I can get parts easily available(which was why I was leaning towards one ton). Another factor is I have three full stock steering setups. Install a beefier tie rod and have extra parts with me to fix a trail repair. Best bang for my buck in my head.

Whitexj98- your info is what I was looking for on clearance on a ruff stuff diff cover. If I was going to do Curries set up I would probably run one ton steering instead do to replacement parts being easy to obtain.

Y19+vwaves- I did considered the zj rod but do not like the adjustment sleeve so close to the ground. My buddy on a 44 actually broke a solid tie rod when he backed off of an obstacle and the adjustment sleeve hung up on the rock and gave it some gas because he was in a sense high centered by it and was a short wb rig so most of its weight was on its rear wheels gave it some gas and bang I was standing there watching the carnage. Problem was the sleeve acted like a anchor, next fix was just round tubing.

831xj- thanks for the info.

Rockclimber-dead spot no good.

If I was going to do Curries set up I would probably run one ton steering instead do to replacement parts being easy to obtain.

if you plan on running junk parts store crap tie-rod ends, then by all means, continue with this line of thinking. if you actually want quality components that will last, it won't matter because you will have to order them regardless. and they won't cost any less.

Rockclimber-dead spot no good.

then avoid inverted T steering.

If I were to do one ton steering it would be for a 44 front. Tie rods are most likely available in more place then buying heims. But if I had more money to spend on this build I would buy a lot better components then the ones I have choosen just had a kid the other day making number 3 for me so I'm on a budget. Yes I have choosen parts that will get me and my family home. Best choose would be one ton axles and 37's but this build is from learning from my not so great set up on my last xj. This time around a lot of thinking has gone in to this build. I guess time will tell if my chooses were made right or badly wrong. Made up my mind. Going to order IRO replacement tie rod based on price and with the extra cash I have in my jeep fund I can get my rear shaft rebalanced and lengthen. Kill to birds with one stone.

Back