• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

duty cycle evap canister clicking

JeepNovice

NAXJA Forum User
I just replaced my cat converter today. When I put everything back together tried to start didn't fire up on first try but did on second try. I let it run I noticed airbag light stayed on. A lot of smoke coming out of passenger side of engine. Then duty evap canister started to click non stop. I shut engine off after a while then there was a bigger clicking noise around coil n rotor. Not sure how all this relates to replacing the cat.

99 xj sport 115k

Did you bolt, clamp it, or weld it in? Sounds like it's running rich, so something might be off with exhaust leak or o2 sensors.

Did you bolt, clamp it, or weld it in? Sounds like it's running rich, so something might be off with exhaust leak or o2 sensors.

I clamp it but had a hard time getting cat in muffler so it's only in about 1 inch. O2 was fine prior, I cleaned it before putting back in.

No cel just airbag light is on. I ll try that.

Check for stored (pending) codes for the Airbag circuit.

An Airbag light on without code means the Airbag Control Module is defective and needs to be replaced.

Disconnect the battery negative cable for 10 minutes, then reconnect, and see if the Airbag light goes out.

Check for stored (pending) codes for the Airbag circuit.

An Airbag light on without code means the Airbag Control Module is defective and needs to be replaced.

Disconnect the battery negative cable for 10 minutes, then reconnect, and see if the Airbag light goes out.

Where is the airbag control module?

What do you have in mind?

The ABCM is located under the driver's seat, and after compliance with a TSB, it was relocated to under the floor console. See pics.

Pre-TSB location:

PreTSBABCMlocation.jpg

Post-TSB location:

CopyofABCMNewLocation.jpg

If you are thinking of changing it there's alot precautions that must be taken.

What's up?

Ok so I disconnected negative terminal. About 15 mins. Light is still on. Guys at autozone said they couldn't help me read codes in relation to airbag light. I noticed I'm low on power steering could that have anything to do w it? I already checked fuses they all seem fine.

Ok so I disconnected negative terminal. About 15 mins. Light is still on. Guys at autozone said they couldn't help me read codes in relation to airbag light. I noticed I'm low on power steering could that have anything to do w it? I already checked fuses they all seem fine.

Power steering fluid low won't have anything to do with the Airbag issue.

A common scanner, like Autozone uses, won't be able access the ABCM.
You'll need to take it to a shop with a DRB III tool, like the dealer has.

If you have cruise control, does it work?

Does your horn work?

The reason I ask these questions is that your clockspring may be bad. It's not always conclusive to say the clockspring is bad causing the Airbag light to be on steady, but if you have horn and/or cruise control issues it does point to the clockspring. However, there has been a report from an XJ owner stating that he had an Airbag light on but his cruise and horn worked okay, but that over a period of time the cruise dropped out, then the horn.

I do suggest you have the Airbag system diagnosed with a DRB III tool before shotgunning parts.

The Airbag Control Module gets power from two fuses in the Junction Block. Fuse F26, 10 Amp, powered from the RUN A22 bus, and fuse 27, 10 Amp, powered from the START-RUN A21 bus.

Edit: I would not drive your Jeep with the Airbag light on until it is repaired. Pull these two fuses until the problem is resolved.

99XJJunctionBlock-1.jpg

Last edited:
When I go in to work, and come out again after 8 days ... my airbag light stays on for about 1/2hr of driving. Works fine after that. Figure it's just getting finniky after 13yrs.
Replaced the clockspring last spring with no change. Only does it when it site for more than a week. Try giving itva good drive and see if that makes any change.

I did leave jeep w negative terminal disconnected for over a week bc I was working slowly on replacing cat. The light came on after that. My horn work n I don't think I have cruise control.

I had my battery dsconneced (removed) for over a month while my engine was out for rebuild and when I put everything back together and turned the ignition key to RUN, the Airbag light came on for about 8 seconds and went out, and stayed out. Clocksping and ABCM 14 years old.

The Airbag light staying on for a 1/2 hour indicates the ABCM is getting lazy, especially since the clockspring is new.

As previously suggested, JeepNovice should take the Jeep to a shop, pay them the $100, and have them diagnose the Airbag system with a DRBIII tool. In that there is other systems going nuts they may look into them as well.

I noticed that there was a recall on the airbag module. Is it too late to get that done? Also I noticed there was a lose wire by the module.

If the loose wire that you mentioned is a Black/Yellow tracer wire with a ring terminal, that is the ground wire for the ABCM. If the loose wire has a black 2 pin connector on it, it's probably the seat belt switch connector.

The wire is black w red lines. Something funny happened took the dog for a walk on the trail this am n took jeep. There were two roundabouts on the way, coming back on the first roundabout airbag light went out soon after we stopped for gas. Light was back on after putting gas. Then right on second round about making a similar turn light goes out again. Then went to store light back on and finally parked on drive way light is gone again. It's messing w me!

Back