• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is the "heavy duty" suspension option?

wolf2600

NAXJA Forum User
What exactly does the "heavy duty" OEM suspension include?
How does it differ from the regular suspension?

I recently replaced my sagging rear springs with a set of "heavy duty" OEM springs from Quadratec (stated 7" free arch), but now my 99 Sport's rear sits kinda high. I don't want a full-on lift kit, but would like to at least level out the height.

Will installing the "heavy duty" replacement coils level things out? I see that Quadratec shows that the heavy duty coils are listed as being 0.5" taller than the non-heavy duty ones... 17" vs. 16.5" (and I'm assuming my stock coils are sagging somewhat... although not as much as the leafs were).

Last edited:
Heavy duty states exactly what it means.... It's heavy duty duh! Lol

In all serious though it means it has a stiffer spring rate and load capacity, and if I do believe, the heavy duty springs(ome,oem,etc) was to replace the factory upcountry springs which gave a slight lift.
Id either add a spacer to the front to level it out or get the heavy duty coils, nothing wrong with a slight lift(1") mine came factory with the upcountry package and its nice having it. A little firmer than most jeeps but so far my leafs still have arch and handle great

Last edited:
Ah.... from here, it looks like the 755/7" springs ARE the UpCountry version (with 1" lift).

Still Googling around to confirm that the coils I linked to above are also UpCountry.

I bet they probably are.
nod.gif

Add spacers to the front coils.

How can you tell if you have the Upcountry package?

Check your build sheet, measure your Jeep, or count your installed options. The UpCountry option package consisted of +1" coil and leaf springs, HD shocks, HD cooling, skid plates, tow hooks, Limited Slip differential, transmission cooler, and a full-size spare tire. Many of these options were also available individually.

The NAXJA FAQ's ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=165) has the same spring info.

Check your build sheet, measure your Jeep, or count your installed options. The UpCountry option package consisted of +1" coil and leaf springs, HD shocks, HD cooling, skid plates, tow hooks, Limited Slip differential, transmission cooler, and a full-size spare tire. Many of these options were also available individually.....
Thanks Tim. My 96 was shipped with none of those
options, so it must be a Downcountry.:D
I was curious because it does seem to sit higher than
most XJs I've seen, including my old 89.

Another thought, thought Up Country is a good one, is that it may be related to the Police Edition. Many police vehicles are specced with heavy duty suspension.

Back