• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napier Fender Flares, Will they fit?

Djmack

NAXJA Forum User
Unfortunately, the "Cut'n'Fold" Method isn't reserved specifically for the late model cherokees. I need to buy some fender flares for my jeep so it's legal to drive in germany. I contacted NAPIER and asked about their late model cut'n'fold fender flares fitting the early model cherokee. I got a short simple answer of "No". But, that makes me think that it was just a sales rep reading the site.

So, does anyone with experience know if i can put their "Late model" rear cut'n'fold flares on my early model xj? To my knowledge, the body line in the rear isn't different.

I'm sure most flares will fit with trimming. I'm just hoping to put them on and be happy.

i wasnt able to put them on my jeep and be 100% happy. i had to trim them alil arount the body lines to get them to fit where i was happy... doug states that on the site that trimming my be needed for proper fitment. but these are so much better than bushwackers its not funny. i have rammed them off trees and rocks with no issues.

I know I'm doing some metal trimming. I thought you meant flare trimming.

Do you have the cut n fold flares?

Unfortunately, the "Cut'n'Fold" Method isn't reserved specifically for the late model cherokees. I need to buy some fender flares for my jeep so it's legal to drive in germany. I contacted NAPIER and asked about their late model cut'n'fold fender flares fitting the early model cherokee. I got a short simple answer of "No". But, that makes me think that it was just a sales rep reading the site.

So, does anyone with experience know if i can put their "Late model" rear cut'n'fold flares on my early model xj? To my knowledge, the body line in the rear isn't different.

Great that you liked the V2 QF Fender Flares well enough to get them for your Jeep. Hope they got to you in time in CA.

Just for reference, the rear wheel well on 84-96 XJs is almost two inches wider than the 97-01 XJs. Since you had not trimmed the rear openings on your Jeep yet the QF Flares will work but like we talked about on the phone, it is up to you to fine tune the details.

Hey doug, Thanks a lot for the flares, i installed both front ones in about 30min total. I still have to finish the back ones, but I'm waiting for my JCR rock guards to show up so i can finish. So far, The only trouble i'm having with installing the rear flares is, getting the wheel well in far enough so that the door flare can sink in. (The way i'm assuming it was designed for.) If it doesn't, then ill just be trimming it so it sits flush with the body. The 3M black trim mold is pretty nice, hopefully i will have enough to finish the job. I'm sure i will. But, It's starting to look great.

On another note, I have skipped many steps during install and deviated for preferred methods. I don't know how much i was supposed to cut on the rear (making fold-able tabs) But i plan on seam sealing the inside behind the interior trim paneling.

If you, or anyone else, would like more feedback, let me know. It has been a fairly easy install so far, we'll see how the rest of the rear plays out.

Sounds like you had fun with the front flares. As you found out, they are quick and easy for someone with some experience. Installing the rear flares takes more time. As you are experiencing, the cut out for the rear flares doesn't follow the body line around the wheel well but pushes toward the door a bit more to maximize the opening size. We find feedback to be real important! That's how we've gotten as good as we are so more is always good.

Sounds like you had fun with the front flares. As you found out, they are quick and easy for someone with some experience. Installing the rear flares takes more time. As you are experiencing, the cut out for the rear flares doesn't follow the body line around the wheel well but pushes toward the door a bit more to maximize the opening size. We find feedback to be real important! That's how we've gotten as good as we are so more is always good.

Is there any way to get a paper template of the rear flares? I currently have the standard cut n fold on the rear, but will soon be cutting above the pinch seam and welding the inner and outer together. This the opening will be higher and longer. Obviously wont affect the mounting on the door, but they could be too low and too short of I go above the pinch seam, probably about an 1" on all directions.

atezy4yr.jpg

Thanks again doug. The flares look great. The front took minimal to no trimming. The back, on the other hand, took more than I expected. I had to take a little extra to clear JCR's rear quarter panels. I ended up with about 2 inches left of the rubber trim. I also had to buy separate hardware for the rear portion of the rear flares to make it through the steel. All in all, they look great and were fairly easy to install.

Thanks again doug. The flares look great. The front took minimal to no trimming. The back, on the other hand, took more than I expected. I had to take a little extra to clear JCR's rear quarter panels. I ended up with about 2 inches left of the rubber trim. I also had to buy separate hardware for the rear portion of the rear flares to make it through the steel. All in all, they look great and were fairly easy to install.

Do you have pictures of your rear trimming of both the fenders and the flares? I'm planning on JCR rear quarters, but plan to cut my fenders above the pinch seam which will necessitate trimming the jcr guards as well.

You can get away with not trimming the rear Fender portion, but, you will have to trim the door flare.

Do you have pictures of your rear trimming of both the fenders and the flares? I'm planning on JCR rear quarters, but plan to cut my fenders above the pinch seam which will necessitate trimming the jcr guards as well.

There's a pretty good on-line write up by BC4x4.com called Project XJ. They have a lot of pictures and even a short video of installing our V2 Fender Flares. To get our flares to fit the flare itself must be used as a template to define the trim line. Especially the rear flares don't follow the body lines around the wheel well. HTH, Doug

So what was he biggest problem mounting them on an early xj?

My fronts are trimmed to remove the factory holes and my rears are rolled and folded.

I've just about bought them a few times but don't want to if they just plain won't work.

Thing is no other flare mfg differentiates between model years!

Re: Re: Napier Fender Flares, Will they fit?

So what was he biggest problem mounting them on an early xj?

My fronts are trimmed to remove the factory holes and my rears are rolled and folded.

I've just about bought them a few times but don't want to if they just plain won't work.

Thing is no other flare mfg differentiates between model years!

they worked just fine on my '95. You might be doing a little bit of trimming on the fender flare. But that will only be on the inside lip. I would say, go for it.

......Thing is no other flare mfg differentiates between model years!

Hey guys, here's a couple of things that will help out.

Our return policy is pretty straight forward. Basically, "if you don't like what you see when you open the box send it back".

When we got to looking at the differences between the 84-96 XJ and 97-01 XJ the older body style has a larger rear wheel opening. We wanted to maximize the opening so the 84-96 XJ V2 Flares are about 1.5" wider across the top.

ARMOR: If you let us know that your XJ is armored we can cut the flares to allow for the armor. Example: If the rear quarter is armored the door flare gets cut with an extra 1/4" to match the off set of the armor.

And, there is always the NAXJA 10% off. Towards the end of the check out process on our website just enter the code: NAXJA Can't be much simpler than that! Hope this helps, Doug.

Back