• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

key removed but power stays on

nathanR

NAXJA Forum User
Can anybody help me I have a 1998 4 door,4.0 with power door and locks, factory equipped except for Hella fog lights and CB which are both powered by acc plug and lighter plug. The problem is the radio and all door lights and switches stay powered after I remove the key and it is not in the acc position. I have tried removing all the plugs at the steering column ALL OF THEM, and the power still stays on does anybody have a clue what it could be? my battery drains in about 2 days so I have to keep the battery charger on constantly. I have pulled all the panels and can not find any spliced or bad wires in doors or dash. please help.

start pulling your fuses and relays 1 at a time to find the problem circuit. if it is a relay, swap one from another circuit in and see if the problem persists. may just be a bad relay sticking. thats a good place to start, and if its not a quick fix you know what relay to pull when you park it to save your battery.

Unplug the driver door wire harnesses, what happens then ? Drivers door wire harness issues are very common. You might also suspect the drivers door mater switch has an internal short.

I had a similar issue with my '98...

In my case, I discovered that the key will quite happily come out of the lock with the switch in the accessory position. What was eventually discovered was that the switch's off detent was a bit on the worn side which allowed the switch to slightly overshoot the off position.

Not saying this is your issue, just try giving the switch a bit more attention at shut down. As it happened on mine, better than week went by so the battery was a flat as a pancake.

Now that I hear of another '98 having this issue, I begin to wonder if is is a model year specific issue.

Can anybody help me I have a 1998 4 door,4.0 with power door and locks, factory equipped except for Hella fog lights and CB which are both powered by acc plug and lighter plug. The problem is the radio and all door lights and switches stay powered after I remove the key and it is not in the acc position. I have tried removing all the plugs at the steering column ALL OF THEM, and the power still stays on does anybody have a clue what it could be? my battery drains in about 2 days so I have to keep the battery charger on constantly. I have pulled all the panels and can not find any spliced or bad wires in doors or dash. please help.

It's probably the driver's door light switch (the button switch on the body) is stuck, or faiiled.

The fuse that you're after is the Ignition Off Draw (IOD) fuse in the PDC. If you remove the cover from the PDC and look at its bottom, it will identify the location of the IOD fuse. Pull the fuse and see if the problem goes away. Pulling the fuse won't fix you problem, it just identifies if this is the circuit you're after.

Flick the driver's door switch a couple of times and see if the problem goes away. If not, try accessing the back of the switch and remove the wires from it to see if the problem goes away.

Back