• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Engine cuts out when accelerating

glenmac

NAXJA Forum User
I've been chasing engine problems and now stumped.
The engine starts cutting out when opening the throttle to accelerate quickly (as in won't do it usually in 5th gear). CEL is on with codes P0123 and P0113, TPS and IAT sensor high voltage. Both sensors new, TPS input is 5.20 V, IAT shows continuity to the PCM, and no short between wires. PCM is new rebuild.
I replaced CPS, MAP and cleaned throttle body, plus plugs,wires, cap, rotor and pickup coil.
Before, idle was loping or steady high, and engine would shut off once in a while, with a couple of tries before it would re-start. Now, it idles correctly and hesitates while accelerating unless I'm careful with the throttle.

1999 XJ Sport, 4WD, 5 spd, 4 L inline 6.
Thanks,
Glen

Took it out on the freeway today, first time since my wife had it towed home 6 weeks ago. The bucking and stuttering isn't just when accelerating. Going up any grade requires a light touch on the throttle to keep it running smoothly.

Glen

Back