• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission fluid drips

tjmotter

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
One quick question to the Jeep guru's before I dive in.

'90 XJ/4.0L/AW4/NP231 - ~195K

I had quite a bit of transmission fluid leaking when i first got the Jeep but was able to stem most of it by installing a new pan gasket. Unfortunately, I still find a consistent drip of transmission fluid on the transmission brace after every drive. The pan area appears dry and the rear yoke area appears dry so I'm guessing it is the transmission output seal and/or the transfer case input seal (probably transmission since this appears to have been going on for a while and the xfer case levels still show full).

Any other possibilities I should check before I start pulling the transfer case off?

thx
Todd

Check the passenger side of the tranny where the fluid lines enter the tranny. The front line is OUT to the cooler, the rear line is RETURN to the tranny. A leak there could be elusive, but could also be as easy to fix as a couple O-rings. Worth a look.

Back