• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to replace lift-gate struts?

Crist Clapper

NAXJA Forum User
1987 Jeep Wagoneer XJ: I thought I could simply put them in place and secure with a rubber hammer... Seems not.

How do these install? There is a clip on each end... Remove? Or?

Thanks!

The small clip is what keeps it in place. Remove the clip try to take some pressure off the strut and pop it off.

The install is the reverse.
Add some grease, push or bang in and secure with the clip that comes with it.
Make sure that the hole or some on the shock is clear of anything pretuding it from sitting on the ball.
Maybe the clamp (black one) is in the way not allowing you to set it rigt.

I posted too slow. Follow Laurent's directions.

Messages received... Anyone got a part number for me?

What part number do you want? Don't even consider an OEM part, you can't afford one. Go aftermarket. Check your local junkyard. Prices vary all over the place. I don't think I would pay over $5 each for a used one. If you decide to check the yard, go on a cold day, so you can see the weak ones. They fail first on a cold day.

They are about $18 a pair at the local retailer. Check ebay. I have seen them there for as little a $11 a pair. At this moment I only see a single piece on ebay for $14.00. Don't pay that price, it is crazy high.

Last edited:
Dont use a 2x4 to prop the hatch open while changing them, then accidentally kick the 2x4 out.
Ask me how I know....
The fiberglass hatch weighs about 75 pounds, I woke up seeing stars.

Thanks for the tip! :laugh3:

Dont use a 2x4 to prop the hatch open while changing them, then accidentally kick the 2x4 out.
Ask me how I know....
The fiberglass hatch weighs about 75 pounds, I woke up seeing stars.

It would seem my new struts may be for an MJ... Going to order/try another set, by description, are more specifically for an XJ. Stay tuned!

You can get the good Sachs for about $12.00 on Rockauto.com. I bought 3 sets (1 for me and for 2 other buddies) about5 years ago and they're still strong, even in winter.

Also, I wouldn't remove the clips all the way, they're kinda a pain in the azz to put them back on. I find that if you take a small flat head screwdriver (the kind of mini one that they have for a buck on the parts store counter with a shank of about 1/8th in diameter) and pry the clip up enough that you can slide the drewscriver tip about 1/4" to 3/8" past the clip to hold the clip in the up position then pop that end of the strut off and do the same in both removing and installing the struts. When finished with that end, just remove the screwdriver and repeat on all ends. Usually you don't need the drewscriver to put the struts on, usually just press med hard and they will pop on but sometimes you might need the screwdriver trick, YMMV

Last edited:
Back