• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1999 Cherokee Sport-Yellow ABS light on

BostonIrish

NAXJA Forum User
My son is away at school and evidently has had the ABS light on for a bit...he says it stops fine but he failed his Inspection last week because of the light.He tried to have to light error read at Autozone but I guess the scanner wasn't equipped for that.He brought it back to the shop that failed him and the tech wanted $500 bucks to "power bleed" his brakes and reset the light.I have a OBDII scanner but I don't think it reads ABS codes...Im gonna have him bring it home so I can check the wheel sensors and check the ABS fuses....is there any way to reset it without buying another scanner or am I screwed and gonna have to bring it to the dealer?

I'm gonna pull the rear drums and check the sensors...I checked the fronts and they looked good.I haven't tried pulling the relay yet..I did call the Jeep dealer and I can get it scanned on Monday if I can't figure it out....this is turning into a huge pain in the ass...

If you remove then reinstall the rear sensors there needs to be an air gap of 0.036" to 0.05". Use a feeler gauge to set the gap while tightening the bolt. The front ones don't need to be set.

And of course check all the connections. Maybe unplug then replug them in case of a bad connection.

Have you checked the fluid level? The ABS light will come on if there isn't enough fluid in the reservoir. Also, if they just give it a visual inspection, pull the cluster and remove the bulb. It's not hard and it will get him past the inspection so you can take your time finding a legitimate solution.

Not true. There is no level sensor in the reservoir, no fluid level sensor in the ABS block. If there was a leak in either the front or rear brake system it could trigger the brake light, not the ABS light.

From the 2001 XJ Diagnostics Procedures:

ABS WARNING INDICATOR ALWAYS ON

Possible Causes

ABS RELAY STUCK
ABS RELAY FUSED B+ CIRCUIT OPEN
ABS RELAY CONTROL CIRCUIT OPEN
CAB INTERNAL OPEN
ABS INDICATOR DRIVER SHORT TO GROUND
INSTRUMENT CLUSTER CONCERN

If you remove the ABS relay and the light goes out try a new relay. If the light comes back on, the other possible causes need to be addressed.

I did a complete brake job tonight..bled everything .Stops great..I pulled the relay and the light went out.Im trying to find a replacement now.Gonna get it inspected again in the morning...if a new relay doesn't solve it I'm gonna bring it to the dealer for a scan with the DRB III scanner.

My kid was impressed...I told him I got the idea from the forum. I'm just glad it's stopping ok..he's it back to Umass /Amherst on Monday.Im having a hard time finding the relay, gonna stop by my parts store after work.

Back