• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

i need some help

lilmatt

NAXJA Forum User
im new to this site and not had my xj for a to awful long time but i need some advice on it if i put it in drive it acts as if its in 3rd gear or maybe over drive and will not pull its self but if i pull it down to 1-2 gear it will drive normal and i can manually shift into 3rd and it shift to 3rd i can drive it like this however it just irratates me that it wont work in drive. can any body help

1993 jeep xj 4x4 auto trans 4.0 inline six motor

thats for any advice or help

Could be something else, but it kind of sounds like your TCU fuse is blown, fuse 3 in the PDC. Or the TCU ground is bad. If it is the fuse, something caused the fuse to blow, just replacing it may not be a cure.

The TCU gets it's main power from the fuel pump relay, the motor runs so this relay is likely OK. The TCU fuse just turns on the TCU, it gets the main power from the fuel pump relay.

I'll have a look and see if anything shares that 3 fuse.

I'm looking at the wiring diagram and see no fuse 3 in the PDC. They have the wire labeled as fuse 3 from the PDC, but it may be in the fuse block to your left and up from the clutch (or brake pedal) there is a slot labeled trans in that fuse block, I don't know if it is used or not on the 93. Fuses are kind of a combination of the fuse block and the PDC. One of those times when the book is kind of sketchy or maybe just wrong.

well i know what fuse cluster ur talking about under the dash the only problem is that i dont have the cover that tells what each one is (my luck) it has a check engine light on i have a computer u can hook up to it but i cant even find where that hook up is do is the fuse numbed 3 see the heater and ac blower will not work either and i was thinking it might be the fuse down there and it might fix both problems but like i said i dont know which one to check i did check the fuse box under the hood and the auto trans fuse was blew i replaced it but didnt help

Something blew the fuse, might be anythings, one you can check is the shift solenoids.

First thing I usually do in a situation like yours (fuse blowing) is check the wiring harnesses for obvious signs of rubbing through, being cut by a chassis seam or cooking on something. Then I go to testing with an ohm meter.

The PDC (fuse box in the engine compartment) the fuses are numbered.

On the fuse block (left and above the brake pedal) the fuses are usually labeled (tiny white letters) in the face of the fuse block near the fuse with an abbreviation. I doubt there is a trans fuse in the fuse block, but as the diagrams I have for the 95 are kind of flaky, it is worth a look.

On some earlier models there is a fuse sticking out of the TCU harness near the TCU, not sure if you have that fuse or not, doubtfull.

Last edited:
Back