• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What makes a rig reliable?

bmikes

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, so I've been doing some thinking lately and trying to plan out how I'm going to build my next XJ, or possibly what I'm going to do to my current setup.

I wanted to see what each of your opinions were on what makes a vehicle reliable and street friendly, while being capable offroad. I'm talking driving up to Elbe hills, driving down to moab, driving to the rubicon trail system, wheeling there, and then having confidence in your rig to drive home.

Possible discussion points could be suspension setups, ie: long arm vs short arm, motor choices, tire size, cage, gearing, transmission and t case, basically everything that makes up an XJ.

Let the opinions roll!!

I run my rig like you mention and also daily drove it for 100k mikes. I couldn't afford it to break because I had to get to work on Monday.

I think its different than you are asking. Knowledge of your rig that comes with years of running it - I'm talking about understanding the soul of your rig. Also carrying appropriate spares and knowing how to fix it. Not running stupid tire sizes on small axles, knowing how to read the lines, knowing when to take the bypass, keeping up to date on maintenance, not just choosing the cheapest lift. It is knowledge that keeps a rig alive, not bravado.

I run my rig like you mention and also daily drove it for 100k mikes. I couldn't afford it to break because I had to get to work on Monday.

I think its different than you are asking. Knowledge of your rig that comes with years of running it - I'm talking about understanding the soul of your rig. Also carrying appropriate spares and knowing how to fix it. Not running stupid tire sizes on small axles, knowing how to read the lines, knowing when to take the bypass, keeping up to date on maintenance, not just choosing the cheapest lift. It is knowledge that keeps a rig alive, not bravado.

That sums it up for me

It's about knowing the ins and outs of the whole rig. Knowledge is a powerful part of a rigs reliability. Make a list of small problems and address them before they turn into larger ones

#1- Engine
#2- Tranny
#3- Diffs.

If you can road trip for 700 miles in the summer , through our deserts and mountains and drive it to work the next day.....That's 90% of the reliability you will ever need.

Study Dustin's current build along with Ryan's. They both have solid reliable platforms that perform very well. Ether of them can drive from the PNW to Moab and all the way to the arctic ocean. with no to minimum problems.
Now that I'm close to done with the YJ. My next built is going to be a simple yet effective exploration Cherokee. Moderate lift, 31's and stock axles. I also plan on building a small home made off road camp trailer. I don't like tents!

I'm talking driving up to Elbe hills, driving down to moab, driving to the rubicon trail system, wheeling there, and then having confidence in your rig to drive home.
Nice line-up. :D

Knowledge of your rig that comes with years of running it - I'm talking about understanding the soul of your rig.
Correct. I feel like seat time is often overlooked. It's the best way to get to know your rig, and start to understand what it truly is capable of.

Here's my .02 on what makes a reliable/capable rig, and what I built the Nail Salon around:

Motor: With a 4.0L, mileage doesn't really matter. I drove my last Jeep to Moab and back with 290K on the clock. Just make sure you stay on top of maintenance. If it's not at 100%, why take it out on the trail and risk having issues? Also, make sure your cooling system is adequate. There's nothing worse than having overheating issues on the trail. Slow speed crawling, and bombing up hill climbs will heat things up quick.

T-Case: The 231's are pretty forgiving overall. Personally, I'd go with a full SYE and not a Hack-n-tap. Knowing I have a 32 spline output on the t-case with a yoke and strong driveline is a peace of mind.

Axles: Again, it's about peace of mind when on the trail. If you're sticking with "stock" axles I think 33's are perfect. Anything bigger is just going to put more stress on parts, and risk breaking more junk. Re-gear for larger tires, and to make driving to and from the trail more comfortable (4.56, 4.88). This also helps with the cooling system. I'd recommend a full case locker too, just because the stock carriers can become the weak link. Knock on wood I haven't had any issues with stock 297X shafts. I like to tack weld the caps in just to help keep the caps in under high torque. Use only Spicer u-joints, any other parts store brand is junk. You can add a truss, sleeves, and other bling parts if you wish, but really it comes down to a good set of gears, lockers, and no worn out junk parts (ball joints, u-joints, bearings).

Steering: There's a ton of aftermarket products available, and they are all going to do a fine job on the trail. The difference oftentimes has to do with their street manners. The 1-Ton Inverted-T is a tough setup, but it has a tendency to create a dead-spot and "roll" on the road. I'm a fan of keeping the stock geometry for the street. Either replace the wimpy stock tie-rod with a heavy duty since the stock drag link is pretty tough, or go Currie and be done with it. The Currie system is just beef, and drives like stock on the street. If you're steering is feeling "loose" it's likely going to be a worn TRE. The mud around here likes to make it's way into parts and wear them out.

Suspension: This is one category where you get what you pay for in my opinion. Don't cut corners trying to save a few bucks. The first is a good quality track bar, setup for double shear. I've seen way too many junk track bars taco on the trail. No stock control arms. A lot of people try to get by with just aftermarket lowers leaving the uppers only to find out they will buckle on the trail. Aftermarket short arms are super cheap. Don't lift the rig sky high either. Stability and low center of gravity are good things. Springs are springs, but you do get what you pay for in my opinion (Rough Country vs Deaver). No lift blocks!

Armor: More armor the better. Skid plates are essential for protecting the drivetrain, and gas tank. You won't be able to drive home with a t-case split in two. It's another peace of mind knowing that the horrific noise of steel on rock is actually a good thing. I'll also include a solid steering box system with this. Something that ties into the bumper, and maybe a box brace for added strength. I've seen a few boxes rip off the frame on the trail, or at least add to cracking (mine included).

You can create a solid rig for cheap, it's not a money thing. The key is just staying on top of maintenance, and getting some seat time with your rig. I really don't understand the whole trailer queen thing. Why trailer your rig to the trail expecting to break something? I hate wrenching on my junk, and I sure as hell don't want to do it on the trail. ;)

You can create a solid rig for cheap, it's not a money thing. The key is just staying on top of maintenance, and getting some seat time with your rig. I really don't understand the whole trailer queen thing. Why trailer your rig to the trail expecting to break something? I hate wrenching on my junk, and I sure as hell don't want to do it on the trail. ;)
You solved your own question:heart:

This is all really good feedback. Thanks guys. I completely agree that knowing your rig is the most important thing to having a solid setup. I have a decent amount of little problems that I need to fix/need help with.

Is anyone in the Gresham/Vancouver area willing to meet up with me some time and possibly help me figure out a few things?

This is all really good feedback. Thanks guys. I completely agree that knowing your rig is the most important thing to having a solid setup. I have a decent amount of little problems that I need to fix/need help with.

Is anyone in the Gresham/Vancouver area willing to meet up with me some time and possibly help me figure out a few things?
Absolutely.. :roll: I'm over off 148th and Powell

Keep It simple. The simpler the better.

You know you're always welcome to swing by my place.

That sums it up for me

It's about knowing the ins and outs of the whole rig. Knowledge is a powerful part of a rigs reliability. Make a list of small problems and address them before they turn into larger ones

Agreed. I say know your rig, stay on top of maintenance / preventative fixes, and don't overlook the small things. Don't put off fixing something because it seems like a minor issue if there is the slightest chance at all it could turn into a bigger one.

I've never had a vehicle strand me due to a major drivetrain component failing. I have however been stranded due to some pretty stupid little things, which were mostly a result of my own inattention to detail... like the pressure tank in my Renix XJ boiling over because I was in too much of a rush while replacing the radiator & didn't burp all the air out of the coolant thoroughly enough. Or when my fan shroud came loose, fell onto the fan, and exploded into shrapnel that took out a transmission cooler line, causing me to dump all of my ATF out onto I-405. That one required a tow truck and I was lucky to pull over quickly enough to not damage the transmission, of course I was halfway to work at the time too. Could have been avoided with a couple nuts and bolts had I been paying attention.

I make a point to triple check my work visibly and do a thorough road test before I consider any work on my rig to be truly done, and I'll give it a decent look over about once a week to spot any potential problems (look under the hood, at visible suspension & steering components, tires, look at where I'm parked for new leaks, etc)... that's always been my policy with my cars but now I stick to it 100% of the time, in my experience when you start getting lax that's when stuff decides to break.

No stock control arms. A lot of people try to get by with just aftermarket lowers leaving the uppers only to find out they will buckle on the trail.

No kidding... I still have stock uppers on mine and have been wondering if they could be a weak link. Guess I will start looking at upgrading.

I'm trying to do the same thing with my rig lately, find all the weak links or potential problems and eliminate them before they cause reliability issues.

Last edited:
Back