• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can I keep the coolant from overflowing?

outracing

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! I have a 1999 Jeep Cherokee that I use to plow snow. It had a problem with overheating when I was carrying the plow in the transport position down the road. I installed a Champion three core radiator replaced the thermostat with a 160 degree changed all of the hoses, and even installed a high flow water pump. The Jeep still gets hot, but does not overheat. The problem that I seem to be having is that when the Jeep does get hot the coolant bottle overflows. I am guessing this is because of the thicker three row radiator holding more coolant. It would not be a problem, but when it cools down it sucks the coolant bottle completely dry. The next time I drive it mixed with the air in the coolant system the bottle overflows again this process repeats until there is not enough coolant to keep the XJ from overheating. I have attempted to find a larger coolant bottle online, however it seems as though there are no aftermarket companies that manufacture one. Does anybody know of a coolant bottle that will fit that is maybe twice the size of the stock? Could be from another vehicle, or an aftermarket manufacturer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's possible you have a blown head gasket. Also the lower temp thermostat will not make it run cooler. The engine needs to get up to a certain temperature to run properly and if not the engine computer will stay in a constant warm up mode.

The thermostat is most likely keeping you from properly cooling the water. Water isn't just supposed to flow freely through the whole system. As the engine gets hot the thermostat opens, lets hot water into the radiator and cool water into the engine to cool it down and the flow decreases as the water cools the thermostat, but if you're circulating your water too fast it just skips the time needed to cool off in the radiator.

Well, in the summer I run the 210 degree, just when I am using the plow in the winter I use the 160 degree. The Jeep still runs well over 210 degrees, I just find that with the 160 degree thermostat it does not overheat. I do not believe the head gasket is blown as it runs like a champ, and it does not seem to have coolant in the oil. I just wish the coolant bottle could stop over flowing. I guess I will try replacing the radiator cap.

You either have something building excessive pressure or a leak like mako was saying. One of the functions of the cooling system is to build pressure and reduce the boiling point. If the system leaks it will boil over at a lower temprature. You can install any universal overflow Jaz makes them up to 1gal but I don't think it will fix the problem.

My 2nd Champion radiator started leaking last week after 6 months of use. I'm not spending another $50+ to ship it back to Cali to get another replacement that won't last a year. Bars leak has temporarily sealed it and CSF or stock next round. $#!+ for welds.

I do not believe the head gasket is blown as it runs like a champ, and it does not seem to have coolant in the oil. I just wish the coolant bottle could stop over flowing.
Take the cap off the radiator, start the engine, watch for bubbles in the coolant.

okay everyone. I went to my local auto parts store and purchased a combustion leak detector. It was only $25, and seems to work very well. It basically checks to see if there is any combustion gas in the radiator fluid. It turns out I do not have a leak.does anyone else have any ideas on why this bottle may overflow everytime I Drive? I purchased a new radiator cap and have it installed, but it still seems to overflow?

New cap is 16 psi. Should i look for a cooling system pressure tester? I do not believe the cooling system to be leaking at all. i pulled the hose off the over flow tube and put it in a five gallon bucket to see how much would over flow, I think I would've noticed any foreign puddles on my garage floor.

As far as I know a higher than 13psi cap is really only needed for higher altitudes like 5k ft or higher. a 16psi cap should be more than adequate, and if there is any doubt of the cap get a dealer one.

I did all the testing and diagnostic of my overheating issues with a 13psi and now its fixed and I'm still running the 13 psi cap.

Pressure testing is probably the best thing to try. check for air in the system by listening carefully while shaking the upper rad hose, while the jeep is off of course.

For what its worth, I had a brand new champion 2row in an otherwise perfect cooling system that ran very hot and would overheat in certain conditions. the factory mopar hd radiator fixed it

I am running the factory electric cooling fan as well as the 95 Taurus cooling fan on my radiator. Both fans work properly. The Taurus fan is set to engage at 215 degrees. I'll check for leaks and see what I can come up with

Where's your stock clutch fan? The electrics won't move as much air as those. Stock clutch fan with a shroud, and maybe the wrangler or zj clutch which has less slip.

Back