• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 XJ A/C issue holds vacuum wont take charge!

kylexj

NAXJA Forum User
Let me start off by saying I'm an epa cerified heating and air technician, went to school for it and this has me stumped! I have a 2001 jeep cherokee limited and the a/c system will pull a vacuum and hold vacuum but will not take a charge. Before i pulled a vacuum on the system I threw gauges on it to see if it had any charge in it....It did so i tried charging it some and got the compressor to start short cycling but could not get it to charge any further. I figured that air or some other non condensable leaked into the system thus pulling the vacuum. I waited at least 30 mins with the gauges connected trying to make sure it would maintain a vacuum and it did so I proceeded to give it a charge which it would not take, could not even get the compressor to kick on. If anyone has had an issue like this please give me a hand! I've had 3 xj's and this issue has left me stumped and I hate going at it with the throw money at it perspective.:wierd:

I have no experience with this poblem, but the first thing that came to mind is that the Fixed Orifice tube in the Liquid Line is plugged.

Plugged with what? The compressor may be shelling out and bits of metal may be plugging up the filter sceen in the Fixed Orifice Tube.

The Fixed Orifice Tube cannot be replaced, the whole Liquid Line must be replaced.

How could it not take some charge as the vacuum will pull the gas in the system?

I have had those r134a connectors with the valve on them, not open correctly as to not let the gas charge go in.

Jumper the compressor and get it running first.

Jumper the compressor and get it running first.

Like old man said, jump the magnetic clutch so it stays engaged. The only way you are going to get enough gas in there so the low pressure switch stays closed (sometimes) is to force (or suck the gas in).

You can also try putting your freon bottle in a bucket of hot water, which forces the pressure higher. Just keep the water level well away from your valve.

I made up a jumper with a matching end to the magnetic clutch connector and an alligator clip big enough to go on my battery pole. Something I could disconnect quickly to avoid over filling.

If you have a switch problem or a restriction someplace in the system you want to be able to shut it down quick. Use both high and low pressure gauges.

Back