• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 to 96 donor

I've recently found a 2000 donor on CL in my area. The seller is willing to part out or sell whole. I have a '96. Both have 6's and AW4s.

I am mostly interested in the interior......

Can anybody give me a short list of what will and will not bolt up. I would REALLY like the entire center console (cup holders :)) but don't know if it will bolt up.

Seats? Dash face? My Countrys edition wood grain has seen better days. I know 2000 has knobs instead of levers. Carpet maybe??? The doors and mirrors are already gone :(

The entire interior except for the dash can be swapped. The center console will require the matching brake lever since it is offset from center.

Thanks, I realized that about the dash AFTER the post. As far as the brake lever, do you know if it too will bolt right up???

Not sure, my truck had a foot pedal parking brake so the holes for the old style lever were missing. The screws are self tapping so I drilled the starter holes then screwed them in place.

Everything can be switched with a little work. I did 98 to 90 swap this might help. The headliner fit good and this thread will show how the e brake handle can be done. The dash can only be done if you change out all the electrical. If you have any other questions PM me.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103431

Last edited:
Everything can be switched with a little work. I did 98 to 90 swap this might help. The headliner fit good and this thread will show how the e brake handle can be done. The dash can only be done if you change out all the electrical. If you have any other questions PM me.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103431

I love your build, but that was WAY more involved than I want to get. I do like what you did with the center console though, so that is a simple enough option. I have a country with grey interior and wood trip. I think I'm going to use the seats and center console for sure. I've been think more and more about trying to paint the wood trim. Sand it down, prime it. Rattle can it with primer, something forgiving like a hammered grey, then a clearcoat on top.

Once again, awesome build.

I love your build, but that was WAY more involved than I want to get. I do like what you did with the center console though, so that is a simple enough option. I have a country with grey interior and wood trip. I think I'm going to use the seats and center console for sure. I've been think more and more about trying to paint the wood trim. Sand it down, prime it. Rattle can it with primer, something forgiving like a hammered grey, then a clearcoat on top.

Once again, awesome build.

The seats have different mounts but I have seen a couple of threads on how to make them work. Here is one.

http://67.228.170.170/forum/showthread.php?p=245842577

sorry to revive an old thread but i'm about to do this same swap and I cant find any specific info on doing a late model interior swap on the 96. I've found several great threads on swapping the center console and other interior pieces to earlier model Cherokee's and MJ's but nothing on the 95-96's. I think this is a significant difference since they were OBDII and came equipped with the drivers side airbag.

I found a donor 98 with the grey interior and power everything that im looking to swap the entire interior into my 96. I know that the back trim on the rear hatch wont match up, (which is ok since I have a plan for it anyways) but the rest of the trim and the seatbelts are supposed to be the same between the two models. Im not so concerned about the center console since its been done so many times before, but what about the wiring for all the power accessories, and the dash, and the seats, etc. I plan to swap the late model doors in as well to get the bigger mirrors, reinforced window guides, etc.

One of my biggest concerns is with the dash and the steering column mount, thanks to Monster3663's write-up ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103431 ) I know that the 1990 style mount is different, but what year did it change?

I'de really like to get a better game plan together before I just start ripping things apart so any light shed on the subject would be great.

bugout, did you ever go through with your swap??

sorry to revive an old thread but i'm about to do this same swap and I cant find any specific info on doing a late model interior swap on the 96. I've found several great threads on swapping the center console and other interior pieces to earlier model Cherokee's and MJ's but nothing on the 95-96's. I think this is a significant difference since they were OBDII and came equipped with the drivers side airbag.

I found a donor 98 with the grey interior and power everything that im looking to swap the entire interior into my 96. I know that the back trim on the rear hatch wont match up, (which is ok since I have a plan for it anyways) but the rest of the trim and the seatbelts are supposed to be the same between the two models. Im not so concerned about the center console since its been done so many times before, but what about the wiring for all the power accessories, and the dash, and the seats, etc. I plan to swap the late model doors in as well to get the bigger mirrors, reinforced window guides, etc.

One of my biggest concerns is with the dash and the steering column mount, thanks to Monster3663's write-up ( http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1103431 ) I know that the 1990 style mount is different, but what year did it change?

I'de really like to get a better game plan together before I just start ripping things apart so any light shed on the subject would be great.

bugout, did you ever go through with your swap??

Negative. I found a wrecked ZJ, and swapped the front seats and both shift levers.

Back