• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Driving on front axle only..

Happytrails

NAXJA Forum User
I am waiting for the new rear driveline, since I just installed the SYE. Any detriment to driving around in 4H with the front axle pulling alone? Need to take a 500 mile highway trip.

Is this OK on the hardware?

96559-el-burro-its-working-stable-fins-coffee-santa-cruz-ca
96559t-el-burro-its-working-stable-fins-coffee-santa-cruz-ca.jpg

96559-el-burro-its-working-stable-fins-coffee-santa-cruz-ca

Auto. Yes. But the front won't fit the back. D35 (w/ABS) and RR SYE on A4 and 4.0L. Yoke to yoke centerlines measure 33.25 on the rear. Lift is about 5". Full extension of my spare front from a similar 96 XJ is only 34". Seems like I need a bit more of spine slip than that.

Absolutely no problem driving with just the front shaft. I've broken enough rear shafts and drove home with just the front to be proof of that. Jeep probably has 2000 miles as a front wheel drive.

Good to know. Thanks. I figured if my PT Cruiser ran full time on a chain drive traction avant, as they say in France, then the XJ should do fine. One thing I do notice is the amount torque on the front axle without the power split to the rear will send the front wheels spinning from a standing stop with no problem!

Unfortunately, controlling the XJ in front wheel drive only is not the same as a front wheel drive vehicle. You got to watch your speed.

Why would it be any different? Aside from a front locker choice, there is zero difference. Pull the rear shaft and I'll still cruise 80 on the freeway.

With an open front it'll only pull a little bit.

With a man trans and an auto locker front it was a bit hair raising keeping it going straight on the highway getting from rausch creek to the campground I was staying at last time I nuked a rear driveshaft and had to limp it back to camp.

... and can I recommend an 8.8 or 8.25 out back as soon as you can?

Why would it be any different? Aside from a front locker choice, there is zero difference. Pull the rear shaft and I'll still cruise 80 on the freeway.

There is a difference. Doesn't really affect top speed, but torque steer is way more prevalent. FWD cars compensate by equalizing torsional stiffness by various means. The D30 isn't designed for front drive only use, but it will get you home. We've almost all done it at one time or another.

Drove 273 mi home from Moab once on the front shaft after I toasted a D35 Trutrac.....not fun, but doable. Disco or non-Disco D30?

Yes, I would like to upgrade the rear to an 8.8 or 8.25. But this XJ has ABS. And only the D35 was equipped with that. Don't know all the entanglements of getting rid of ABS. Sounds like it goes deep in the plumbing and electronics.

I drove mine daily for a solid week with just the front driveshaft.

I noticed no difference from RWD and that included going 75+ on socal freeways.

Some of you guys are sure better drivers than I am. I daily drove mine some years ago on just the front shaft for more than two weeks while living in Carbondale, PA going out up to 200 miles from Carbondale. While it took me where I wanted to go, the torque steer was a bit hair raising at times plus wandering on uneven roads which it did not when using the rear wheels.

Sorry guys, I grew up in the Caribbean and learned to drive in a number of different British made front wheel drive vehicles. They responded very different than my XJ do when using just the front drive shaft both on and off the highway.

D30 is totally factory stock.

OK.......a Center Axle Disconnect D30 (87-91 XJ models) prevents the front driveshaft from spinning when not in 4WD. When you lift your XJ, there is a caster/pinion angle change to both front and rear drivelines. This change, if not corrected, will cause mild to severe driveline vibrations at freeway speeds.

Folks with 92-later D30 in their XJ will typically deal with this issue (because their front driveline is always spinning) by reducing caster/pinon angle to minimize driveline vibes or installing manual locking hubs.

The point of my question is relative to this info. If you have a lifted XJ with a disco D30 (or non-disco D30) and have not corrected caster/pinion angle, when placed in 4wd and run at freeway speeds, the misalignment of pinion/driveline angle will cause the front driveline to vibrate and long-term use (500 mile trip) and depending on their condition, could cause failure to the ujoints, double cardan pivot ball, t-case output bearing......etc.

Blanket statements/advice by those who claim to have no issues running their rig in FWD only at 80MPH, could be leaving out a lot of relevant info which may ultimately result in you causing damage to your rig/yourself. You installed an SYE to eliminate vibration from your rear driveline, don't overlook the same issue up front.

YMMV

its going to turn for crap especially the closer you get to full lock, other than that it should be fine. I drove mine daily for 3 months with only a front shaft in.

I drove mine about 300 miles on the front only. No antisway bars, lock rite locker. After the first mile, I almost turned around it was so bad. Could barely keep it in my lane when getting on/off the gas. Slowly got used to it, and actually relaxed after about 100 miles. Wouldn't recommend it if you have other options!

I drove mine about 300 miles on the front only. No antisway bars, lock rite locker. After the first mile, I almost turned around it was so bad. Could barely keep it in my lane when getting on/off the gas. Slowly got used to it, and actually relaxed after about 100 miles. Wouldn't recommend it if you have other options!

My experiences exactly especially trying to maneuver those winding secondary county roads in North East PA. I was constantly getting on and off the gas in order to keep the XJ in my lane. The harder you get on the gas, the more pronounced the torque steer. Getting up to speed slowly on the highway and maintaining that speed is a lot more relaxing.

Is it doable? Yes s indicated by myself and others. Would I recommend it? No!

And by the way, my XJ was all EOM except for a 1 inch spacer up front for a bit of lift.

Back