• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Napa Echline CPS

Locked98GC

NAXJA Forum User
Installed this about a week ago and the son has been driving it around. It has a 3 year warranty. The little gremlin is back again.

95 4.0, auto 4x4. Son called said Jeep on side of road and won't start. I get there about 10 min later and starts right up. Son follows me home and it dies (like when you turn the key off but the lights stay on) about every 1/2 mile. Went to Napa and got the Echline CPS and installed. It's been running fine for the last week and just started dying again.

Take it off and go get a new one? How is NAPA on returned electronic parts.

*It's coming of tomorrow. It's been on there almost 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Don't WASTE your money on anything but the OEM Jeep CPS!. I have found the OEM sensors are always cheaper than any of the crap you can buy at AZ, Checker, and yes, even NAPA. I just bought a RENIX high altitude CPS at the dealer for $38.22. The aftermarket ones always put out a lower signal than the factory CPS.

I like NAPA and use them for the majority of my aftermarket parts, but I won't buy a crankshaft position sensor from them. Some have decent luck with them, but others have had issues. I have worked on two XJs with Napa crank sensors where the sensor tested good electrically, but the "spacing" of the Echlin sensor is different and marginal enough where it can create gremlins.

I buy my crank sensors ONLY from Jeep. Well worth it in longevity and reliability. See if you can get your money back and buy a Mopar Jeep crank sensor. They are the best, hands down.

Replaced it with another Echline and took it for a drive, it started bucking this time instead of just dying. Did this about 10 times in 1 mile driving the back streets. Always started right back up. Got it in the driveway and it ran for 20 minutes without a hickup. I put it in drive and reverse to put a load on it but still it kept running. Pointed it uphill and down hill and still ran. I get a code 12, but the battery cable was taken off. This morning before I replaced the CPS it stopped running after about 20 feet to get in the garage.

Guess it's off tomorrow to get a new fuel pressure gage and check the coil or replace the CPS again on Monday when the dealer is open.

There is a clue here--three crank sensors and the problem persists.

I would say it isn't the crank sensor.

Look elsewhere. Try testing the crank sensor when the no run condition presents.

I had a problem very similar to this and it turned out to be the 2" rubber hose inside the tank that connects the pump itself to the nipple on the fuel hanger assembly. it would idle fine but after a few minutes it would lose all fuel pressure and die. I assumed it was the pump and pulled it out of the tank to discover that this hose was completely rotted out and falling apart, it was leaking as fuel pressure built up and causing the pressure to drop.

not saying this is your problem but it's at least something else to check. hope you get it figured out.

I'm leaning towards the fuel delivery problem. Would have checked it yesterday but the tester got re-utilized for another project. I did have a code 11 on the original, but that went away with the first CPS I bought. Could be the coincidence of 2 different problems appearing around the same time.

Tested the fuel pump, 32 psi at idle and 41 psi when you take the vacuum off the FPR. Tested the coil, primary at 1.0 ohm and secondary at 12.6K ohms. These two items are within specs. Tested the coil hot and was still in specifications.

The Jeep stopped running while it was cold (in less than a minute) and hot.

Leads me back to the CPS.

Tested the fuel pump, 32 psi at idle and 41 psi when you take the vacuum off the FPR. Tested the coil, primary at 1.0 ohm and secondary at 12.6K ohms. These two items are within specs. Tested the coil hot and was still in specifications.

The Jeep stopped running while it was cold (in less than a minute) and hot.

Leads me back to the CPS.

And what reading did you get off the crank sensor immediately after it died?

And what reading did you get off the crank sensor immediately after it died?

this is the next place to look.

even the electrical sensors are subject to expansion and contraction from heat and cooling, parts made to poor tolerances are more susceptible to this which is why most say go to the dealer for the CPS.

Hope I can get a reading quick enough tomorrow. Thought about back probing the connector and run the wires inside to the multimeter so my son can watch it while we are driving around. And of course video it.

Nobody contacted Echlin about this problem. I received an email from the production engineer in the automotive section of their company and they would like pictures and the information off the parts box since CSS613 does not cross over on their P/N list. They want to look into this. Well Napa kept the 2nd box so I'll have to take pictures when I drop this one off.

As for testing right after it stalls, by the time I get out to test it, the Jeep will start back up (about 15 seconds). Started it this morning to move in the garage, it stalled almost immediately. Of course the meter was in the garage. Now if I let it set for 10-15 seconds, after it stalls, it starts right back up. If I start cranking the engine immediately it won't start even after 10-20 seconds of cranking but let it sit for 10-15 seconds it will start. Sometimes it'll start in 5 seconds.

I tried back probing the engine harness connector to the CPS while it was running, that doesn't work, I got 34 ohms on the B and C pins. If you are just testing the sensor by itself it should read "open", if there is any resistance it needs to be replaced

Last edited:
I'm going to assume it's not the CPS. I took it for a drive around the block and it stalled. After it stalled, I took a reading and it's open, which means it's good. I had my fuel pressure gauge on also during this run. The engine would not start but was trying when I tried cranking it over, the reading was bouncing around 30 psi.

It rarely stalls in the driveway/garage. I can let it idle/rev in the driveway and it does not stall. It only happened on the first start of the last 2 days. When I go out for a ride it stalls in about a block and will keep on stalling while driving around.

Last edited:
Back