• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30Lockrite powertrax front locker will not disengage/unlock/ratchet

Xjsean06030209

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 92 xj And I have a powertrax locker that was just installed in the front of the ole dana 30. It was bought used and has only 1000 miles on it "said the seller". I got it from him in the carrier all assembled. I just had to shim it a little bit but tht all I did to it. According to him I worked fine when he removed it. The problem is it isn't ratcheting/unlocking properly. The pins in the middle just move over the spring that's on the opposite side of them if that makes sense. The teeth do not move away from the middle section and vise versa. The teeth stay connected in the locked position. I can manually push the middle part away from the teeth and it will ratchet perfect. it almost seems like there isnt enough pressure pulling the two parts away from eatchother which is allowing the teeth to stay in the locked position. Ive read the instructions and have done the tests it provides but no luck. I just wanted a few more opinions before i tear it all apart. It's nearly impossible to drive on the road at times and I know it's not good for the axles. If I need to specify anything please let me know. It's my first post so bare with me here haha. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will try to put a video or can send them by text if you want to pm me. Thanks again

Is your cross shaft in spec? The lunchbox manufacturers all say that if the cross shaft is worn, it won't work.

Makes some sense, torque from the wheels pushes the cross shaft to spread the locker and let it ratchet.

Im fairly certain that changing the carrier requires the gears to be properly set up. You should have taken the locker out of the seller's carrier and put it in your carrier. Whether that would cause the problem you are having I do not know but it's something to think about

Is your cross shaft in spec? The lunchbox manufacturers all say that if the cross shaft is worn, it won't work.

Makes some sense, torque from the wheels pushes the cross shaft to spread the locker and let it ratchet.

It could be, that's kind of what the guy at Richmond told me I'll check it out thanks for the input

Im fairly certain that changing the carrier requires the gears to be properly set up. You should have taken the locker out of the seller's carrier and put it in your carrier. Whether that would cause the problem you are having I do not know but it's something to think about

I definitely would have tried that but I went from 3.55 gears to 4.56 and needed his carrier. I was tryin to kill a couple birds with one stone but its kinda backfiring. I woulda used my old carrier but I had to switch cause the carrier break, I think it was 3.55 and lower and 4.10 an higher it somethin like that, I have to use a different carrier

so did you have the front gears professionally setup , or not ?

Yah the gears were professionally set up, and is there anywhere I could get the go it no gauge for it? That would be a big help and how would I adjust the pins? Or are they adjustable?

I have a 92 xj And I have a powertrax locker that was just installed in the front of the ole dana 30. It was bought used and has only 1000 miles on it "said the seller". I got it from him in the carrier all assembled. I just had to shim it a little bit but tht all I did to it. According to him I worked fine when he removed it. The problem is it isn't ratcheting/unlocking properly. The pins in the middle just move over the spring that's on the opposite side of them if that makes sense. The teeth do not move away from the middle section and vise versa. The teeth stay connected in the locked position. I can manually push the middle part away from the teeth and it will ratchet perfect. it almost seems like there isnt enough pressure pulling the two parts away from eatchother which is allowing the teeth to stay in the locked position. Ive read the instructions and have done the tests it provides but no luck. I just wanted a few more opinions before i tear it all apart. It's nearly impossible to drive on the road at times and I know it's not good for the axles. If I need to specify anything please let me know. It's my first post so bare with me here haha. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I will try to put a video or can send them by text if you want to pm me. Thanks again

So, just to be clear, you got a lunchbox pre-installed in a carrier and you put the carrier in your dana 30 along with a used ring and pinion? If you did not have the r&p done professionally you have a ticking time bomb. Used r&p's are very tricky to set up and require someone with skill to get it right.

Since you don't know the history of the setup you also definitely need to get a new cross shaft. I would get one from powertrax as theirs are stronger than stock. Again, unless you have done many r&p setups you need to get an experienced pro to do this.

Yah the gears were professionally set up, and is there anywhere I could get the go it no gauge for it? That would be a big help and how would I adjust the pins? Or are they adjustable?

Apparently we both posted simultaneously. It sounds to me like you need to go back to the person who setup your gears and have him check his work adding a new cross shaft as well. To what pins are you referring? I don't know of any adjustable "pins" in a carrier. If you mean the cross shaft, no it is not adjustable, when it is worn you replace it.

If I read the first posting correctly, you are expecting the teeth to Not be engaged when in a neutral state? You said..
it almost seems like there isnt enough pressure pulling the two parts away from each other which is allowing the teeth to stay in the locked position.

TO me that sounds like you expect the side gear and cam gear to Not be touching or engaged when at rest. They are though and thats how its designed.

I get ALOT of calls about how when on a jack a customer can spin this side, or not spin that side or that it bangs and is hord to disengage by hand on a jack... All that is irrelevant though.

There is a static pressure applying force from the cam gear to the side gear and it will be difficult if not impossible to get them to ratchet without using a tire attached to the unitbearing to apply enough force to get it to break free.

Maybe a little more clear explanation would help, as to what its doing and why you think its not working right?

Back