• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 xj loss of power

Burton58

NAXJA Forum User
while driving, get to a light or stop sign and start to go again the jeep will stumble over itself, revving up and down but not going faster with throttle input. give it a few and it's fine again. no CEL. TPS? other sensor issue? drives perfect otherwise, very intermittent

Fuel?
Have you checked the fuel filter?
My jeep had a dirty filter, causing it to shake and at times die at a light and when leaving the light.

Loss of power, I hear a clogged CAT all the time.

Possible causes.
-Worn TPS. Test with an analog multimeter.
-Sticky IAC. Clean or replace. The screw and motor can get dirty, lube
the screw with very light oil. Careful, it's fragile.
If replacing either the TPS or IAC, consider Mopar dealer parts.
-Vacuum leaks
-O2 sensors may be getting old and non-responsive. How many miles are on your XJ?

When you say loss of power, is it only at or just off idle? What about higher speeds, does it still have a power loss?

For S&G, my renix era jeep was having a slightly similar problem: stumbling, and idle going up and down, which would sometimes continue when I started driving. 8mud was helping me debug another issue, but what ended up being the cause was a busted fuel regulator that was leaking fuel into the intake manifold. IIRC even HO jeeps could have this issue, and it's easy to check, just pull off the vacuum line and see if there is any gas in there.

thanks everyone. it's extremely intermittent. i've been driving the jeep daily for a week (it's my gf's) and it has done it to me once, she says it happens every couple days.

idle is fine, it only happens at like 30-40mph or somewhere around that range. it will stumble and no throttle input helps but only for a few seconds then it's ok. makes it an issue in busy intersections though lol.

jeep has 138k on it

idle is fine, it only happens at like 30-40mph or somewhere around that range. it will stumble and no throttle input helps but only for a few seconds then it's ok. makes it an issue in busy intersections though lol.
jeep has 138k on it

This is a completely different symptom than what was originally described. First, it was at an a stop, idling, now it happens at 30-40 MPH.

no i just didn't describe it well. i meant it only happens while accelerating like after stopping at a light and continuing on again. does not happen at idle or while cruising on the highway

Back