• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk Accel/Decel

itslogz

NAXJA Forum User
Its a 2000 cherokee. Just put a 3" RC lift and 31's on it, so ive acquired a little noise of course. At any speed when i left off the gas to decel i hear a clunk/scraping sort of sound. If i lightly tap the gas while driving i can make it clunk when i press it and clunk when i let off repeatedly. Will also hear it when im slowing down and the transmission goes through gears, doesnt do it in neutral.

Am I due to get a SYE? Ive looked at my transmission mount, it looks "okay" but not perfect, isnt sagging and i cant move the case too easily by pressing up on it, but im not sure the best way to check that mount and know for sure its time to replace it

Both rear u joints are almost brand new

Thanks alot.

I took it out for a drive earlier after posting this to give a better description, it seems with focusing on making it happen, its actually more of a grinding sound, sort of some really shot brakes would sound in a way. Ive found that ive im going a decent speed (50mph + ) down a hill and just barely give it gas while coasting down the hill, if i hold it it will constantly make the noise as long as its coasting and im giving it the slightest amount of gas possible. Since I mentioned shot brakes ill point out i just recently fully rebuilt the rear drums due to a leaking wheel cylinder, it was making the same sound before and after, just to add

I greased the slip yoke a good bit when i changed the u joints about 4-5 months ago but I suppose I could grease it like its going out of style and see if that effects it, could quieten it and point me towards whether it was it or not i suppose

Make sure the fasteners removed/loosened for the lift are torqued correctly. Check for worn drive shaft u-joints, loose or broken exhaust mounts, and for failed engine/transmission mounts.

You know I just realized 3-4 days ago i just got back from a beach trip where i took the xj in the sand, and realized that the whole trip it never made this noise, but before it did. Im thinking the weight (had alot of heavy stuff) in the back lowered the rear enough and changed the driveshaft angle enough to keep it down, i had JUST redone the rear drums (leaking wheel cylinder) before we went so i was thinking it somehow fixed it whenever i noticed it wasnt doing it, but i thought maybe it was because i had music on and windows down on the whole trip or something and didnt notice it once I heard it again. Im gonna try the weight in the rear again later to see if that clears it up and ill post my findings here, if so I guess the cheapest easiest approach would be to drop the tc 1"?

Back